Losing coolant at manifold heat riser - Why?

-

forty6er

Reaction score
When running my new motor, I notice that there is coolant boiling in the little C-shaped hole on one of the heads. Not a lot, but it's worrisome. Can't figure out where the liquid is coming from. Is it possible for it to ooze up through the manifold bolts? There is no coolant in the oil. When I installed the manifold I torqued everything to specs. The heads were milled a smidge just to true them by my machine shop. I used the good Felpro gaskets.

C shape where? the ports are numbered with cylinder numbers..Where is the puddle? (i.e. "between the #2 port and the front edge on the intake", etc)

Here's a pic of what I'm referring to. This is not from my engine, but from another one in the shop. Coolant oozes up through the deep hole area (inverted "C") and boils away. Can't figure out where it's coming from.

Let me try that again

P1010444.jpg

That's the heat riser, right?

I would think that the only way coolant could be getting in there would be if there is either a leak at the head or intake gasket, or the head is cracked. Or maybe the intake is cracked. Is it coming out on both sides or just one?

Just one side, the passenger side. I think maybe I'll do a compression check of all the cylinders on that side. Did a compression test of the cooling system and it held steady at 14 lbs. A manifold crack sure would be easier to fix than a cracked head. As I said earlier though, there is no evidence of coolant in the oil.

If it is filling with coolant by itself, you have a crack. There is no coolant in the intake in taht area. It's only for exh gasses to reach under the carb for faster warmup. There is coolant in the head casting near that passage, down near where it starts from teh exh bowl. Are these ported heads? It may be that it's cracked, but only leaks when hot (like when you're getting on the throttle, as opposed to idling). A magnaflux check is the only way to make sure on iron heads.

Yeah, they were ported by my machinist-rebuilder. Think some radiator sealer would work? If it's the head I'm in for a lot of work and I'm out a lot a LOT of money.

I dont think sealer will work, no. I think really it's your porter out the money. When I go too far, it's my dime. Not the customer's. I'd pull the head, have a different shop take the exh valve out of that port, and mag the area well. If it fails, take the parts back to your guy, and (nicely) ask what he can do. If he was the only guy to work on them, it's his fault. No way around it, no hiding from it. It does happen, and the best thing you can do is work thru it. Worst case, give him the heads back, and get all your money back for them(this, will not happen, but that's worst case) Best case, he agrees it's his fault, finds you a repalcment head, ports it, sets it up with your existing parts, and hands it to you. (that's what should be)

-
Back