Losing interest in the hobby

-
That is the way it normally is on selling cars. When you don't want to sell they are hot to buy but the day you deciede to sell they are full of BS.

I think what helps me is having different hobbies.. Starting in the fall my car hobby slows down and is dead by Thanksgiving and I'm full blown into hunting mode until February... By then I'm ready to start back on the cars....

I'm middle of the road on this subject. I love mopar and have a few projects. I was involved in a car accident last year, spine is crooked and can't get around like I used to. Not able to work and the parts are simply to expensive anymore. Keep up a car with tires, batteries and fresh fuel is crazy. The fuel now goes bad in a month.

When you go to sell, people want to you all but give it away. No thanks. Then there is people that totally try to rip folks off because they can't find it anywhere else. I got screwed hard by a member here on a vehicle trade. I hope he is enjoying the Plymouth. Takes a special person to take advantage of a disabled guy...

So part of me wants to say "he// with it"...but can't help it. Need my fix but still conflicted...

Stop going to the shows. Just get in the car and drive! Hang out with friends/fellow car people and enjoy it. Cruise nights and such are fine, but just don't enter. I know the negative comments hurt. None of my cars were ever "show worthy" in my books, so I just went to enjoy other people's rides. I haven't owned an old Mopar in over 3 years now. I took Dad's Dart to work last week, and the feeling was just indescribable! Take a break, if need be, find somewhere closer to home to store it, if possible, and throw the cover on it. It will be waiting for you when you're ready.

I know the feeling. I got a new neighbor directly across the street that was newly retired from the Navy. He's a good guy, but, was bored and would call and come over every time I opened my garage door. What used to be "my" time listening to music and having a beer wrenching turned into his story telling time and asking me a thousand questions and critiquing me while looking over my shoulder. He meant well but drove me nuts and I lost interest in the car because of it. I had to eventually tell him to kindly back off and since then things are better.

Take a break for a bit and it will come back to you :)

And I also understand about the car-critiquing Nazis. F-them and their negativity.

Lube moving parts with WD-40, toss some sand or kitty littler under it before you park it, that should help preserve it. Take a break, sounds like it's time. Skip the car shows, there are no statues erected to critics.

I think you should just drive and enjoy the one you have... Is it a performance car or just a mild cruiser? I spent 2 years just to build and swap a 360 into my Duster for various 'life' reasons but it's been together for a year now and I'm enjoying the hell out of it, I drive that thing everywhere. Last Friday I drove up I-70 and Loveland Pass to go skiing at Arapahoe Basin, it was such a rush going 90+ mph up and around those 6% grades lol.

IMO you should get/build a Mopar that's fast and fun to drive but in "driver" condition so you can beat on it without being scared of messing up the paint or breaking the original engine... there are still cheap running A-bodies out there

..............I'm bored with mine too.........my car made 15 miles last year........my race car has not been down the track in 7 years............kim............

Been here ,done this(several times). I learned,spending 15-20 minutes a wrenching session, keeps it fresh. This ,works for me. Hope ,you don't sell it. You probably, have a lot of time(and money!).,invested.

For storage, i'm really considering purchasing a used 20' shipping container for about 1G and my car will sit in it, in the desert, until I can find the time to tinker with it again. Getting accepted into grad school and having zero avalible storage indoors and being 22 and broke sucks:( lol. But like somebody else said, don't do anything too drastically that's where everybodys regret stories stem from

..............I'm bored with mine too.........my car made 15 miles last year........my race car has not been down the track in 7 years............kim............

My best friend and race car partner is 75. I am 74. That's years old, not our I Q's. (our I Q;s are doubtlessly, lower than that....:( )

He has a super-nice '69 Dart GT with a 390hp 360 crate engine with all the bells ans whistles (TTI exhaust, 8.75" rear, MSD ignition, 3500rpm stall converter, built 904 and 3.55 sure-grip gearing.)

I have a '72 Valiant with a 1998 360 Magnum that is equipped with a Vortech V-1, S-Trim supercharger. 8.75" sure-grip equipped that is 4.10-geared. It is a solid, mid-11-second car.

We've had these toys for awhile,,,, but.... Four years ago, We were bored with them.

A lifetime of V8s for both of us had resulted in our trying everything under the sun to make these cars fun drives, and we hit a wall; there was seemingly nothing left to do... or so we thought.

Wrong, nitrous breath!!!:eek:ops:

One day, with us both staring down the barrel our own mortality, we decided to build ONE MORE Mopar; something neither of us had ever had the slightest thing to do with... ever!

BOTH of us had always had V8s and the Vortech-inspired 360 Magnum in my '72 Valiant was the only forced induction car either of us had ever had anything to do with, so we mutually agreed that the thing for us to do was to build a turbocharged slant-six powered early A-Body.

So, we did.

We didn't think this up on our own. Fabo members Ryan Peterson and Tom Wolf had already been down this road, and both helped us out with the steep learning curve we encountered. Tom, in particular, educated us on a whole bevy of things, and saved us mega-bucks and lots of time.

Ryan's 2,800-pound '66 Valiant has run 10.74 @ 127mph, while Tom's later model and probably 500-pound heavier (1971?) Dart has gone virtually 11-flat at 120mph into a 15mph headwind. That takes about 500 flywheel horsepower... more than plenty for a couple of old codgers like us.

We have built a '64 Valiant ($700.00.... found waiting for us in an open field, where it had been for the last 15 years,) and have built a turbo'd 225 /6 that is a copycat motor that mirrrors Tom's and Ryan's mechanically-similar engines.

We'll never go as fast as they do, but we plan on horsepower in the 400 range, which in our 2700-pound bucket of bolts, should move out smartly, on the double. :blob:

We have been working on this thing for four long years, and it's finally almost ready to take to the strip.

We're old, slow, and stupid, but you know what? We haven't had TIME to be BORED!!!

Here are a couple of pics of the fruits of our labor... I'm the idiot in the white (doctor of motors) coat...

:wack:

Attachments

• js640_frednme.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 100_3612.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_3622-001.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_3649-001.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 100_3489-1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_3786.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_3720.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 165
  • 100_3718.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 165
Go to the drag strip. I get a real boost every time. All of a sudden I want a car for every class. Go to truck and tractor pulls. The rip roaring, driveshaft twisting, smoking, multi-engine stuff will get your blood boiling. Read, "Paint A Little Square."

My best friend and race car partner is 75. I am 74. That's years old, not our I Q's. (our I Q;s are doubtlessly, lower than that....:( )

He has a super-nice '69 Dart GT with a 390hp 360 crate engine with all the bells ans whistles (TTI exhaust, 8.75" rear, MSD ignition, 3500rpm stall converter, built 904 and 3.55 sure-grip gearing.)

I have a '72 Valiant with a 1998 360 Magnum that is equipped with a Vortech V-1, S-Trim supercharger. 8.75" sure-grip equipped that is 4.10-geared. It is a solid, mid-11-second car.

We've had these toys for awhile,,,, but.... Four years ago, We were bored with them.

A lifetime of V8s for both of us had resulted in our trying everything under the sun to make these cars fun drives, and we hit a wall; there was seemingly nothing left to do... or so we thought.

One day, with us both staring down the barrel our own mortality, we decided to build ONE MORE Mopar; something neither of us had ever had the slightest thing to do with... ever!

BOTH of us had always had V8s and the Vortech-inspired 360 Magnum in my '72 Valiant was the only forced induction car either of us had ever had anything to do with, so we mutually agreed that the thing for us to do was to build a turbocharged slant-six powered early A-Body.

So, we did.

We didn't think this up on our own. Fabo members Ryan Peterson and Tom Wolf had already been down this road, and both helped us out with the steep learning curve we encountered. Tom, in particular, educated us on a whole bevy of things, and saved us mega-bucks and lots of time.

Ryan's 2,800-pound '66 Valiant has run 10.74 @ 127mph, while Tom's later model and probably 500-pound heavier (1971?) Dart has gone virtually 11-flat at 120mph into a 15mph headwind. That takes about 500 flywheel horsepower... more than plenty for a couple of old codgers like us.

We have built a '64 Valiant ($700.00.... found waiting for us in an open field, where it had been for the last 15 years,) and have built a turbo'd 225 /6 that is a copycat motor that mirrrors Tom's and Ryan's mechanically-similar engines.

We'll never go as fast as they do, but we plan on horsepower in the 400 range, which in our 2700-pound bucket of bolts, should move out smartly, on the double. :blob:

We have been working on this thing for four long years, and it's finally almost ready to take to the strip.

We're old, slow, and stupid, but you know what? We haven't had TIME to be BORED!!!

Here are a couple of pics of the fruits of our labor... I'm the idiot in the white (doctor of motors) coat...

Bill,
My good man, you are an inspiration to us all! :thumrigh::thumrigh:
Dallas

I'm doing a lot of thinking lately and am seriously considering getting out of the hobby completely. I have my Dart up for sale with the intent to move onto another project car that I have, but it's looking like I may end up letting both cars go. I was really looking forward to building the other car but have had to put it on hold as nobody is showing any interest in the Dart. If I can't sell the Dart I can't keep them both so the other car will have to go, which kinda sucks because that's the one I wanted. I've had no desire to drive the Dart at all & just got my licence renewal in the mail today & am considering not renewing this year. I've always been a hardcore car guy but the past couple years I've been losing interest more & more all the time, & I'm to the point right now that I wanting little if anything to do with cars. I hate to see my 73 Dart (which is virtually rust free) sit and turn into a rust bucket but it's looking like this may happen. I'm not looking for any sympathy or anything like that I just need to get this off my chest & find some reason to stay in the hobby.:banghead:

I went through that myself about 12 years ago - sold several project cars and related parts. Part of it was I was getting out of control with my buying and taking on projects...at one point I had 5 cars that had been torn down and needed alot of time and money to make drivable again. The rest of it was I was just getting more interested in other hobbies, and cars seemed less and less important the more I got into other things.

In hindsight I should have just taken a break and held onto everything, or at least focused on one car at a time, and sold one or two of the lower priority cars to get my favorite car done. Cause here I am years later wishing I still had those cars and parts...lesson learned I guess.

My advice - set it aside and take a break. Don't sell.

It must be a desease and I think I caught it. I stopped working on the Duster do to health problems. I just bought a excavator and now I am digging holes. Not for any reason. Just digging holes and filling them back in.

I want to get a thumb for it so when I decide to clean out I won't have to look at whats leaving. Just grab it , Crush it and stuff it in the dump truck. I bought a skid loader a while back to play with. I use it to back the dumpster to get my moneys worth out of the garbage bill.

I also started restoring old lawn tractors. just finished a 322 Deere and I am working on a old Sears GT18 hydro.

But right now "I pick things up and put them down" Its like therapy. So if you need a hole dug for no reason at all call me.

Attachments

• spoiler pics 019.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 191
  • spoiler pics 018.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Picture 322.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 160
  • spoiler pics 016.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 160

So, we did.

Thanks!! By the way that's a sweet build & a great story, it's nice to see you "young" people still going strong. lol I was kinda thinking that buying the Volare might boost the spirits a bit & wanted to play around with the slant 6 in it kinda like what you've done with the Valiant just for something different. The dart is a great car & been fun but I wanted to try something different but now have 2 cars just sitting due to the lack of interest & motivation. I've lost it to the point where even looking at other peoples cars doesn't even do anything for me & have no interest in attending shows. I have been battling with some health issues (the biggest one has always bee the depression) myself plus my Wife has a disability as well & this adds to the work load.

I don't really want to get rid of both cars but of the 2 the Volare was the 1 I wanted to keep but since nobody has shown any interest in the Dart I might end up keeping it & letting the Volare go. The Dart is a great driver car with a 318, & factory A/C I just wanted something different. It seems like there's alot of people that only consider a 4 door a parts car & nothing else no matter how clean it is. I've enjoyed the 4 door and the number of doors is not the reason I'm selling (yes I noticed your Valiant has the "all door" option as well), just wanted a change.

Everybody on this site has always been a great inspiration to myself & many other members. This is why I've turned to my FABO friends for advice as I've got so many mixed feelings & thoughts over this one. Thanks to all!!

It must be a desease and I think I caught it. I stopped working on the Duster do to health problems. I just bought a excavator and now I am digging holes. Not for any reason. Just digging holes and filling them back in.

I want to get a thumb for it so when I decide to clean out I won't have to look at whats leaving. Just grab it , Crush it and stuff it in the dump truck. I bought a skid loader a while back to play with. I use it to back the dumpster to get my moneys worth out of the garbage bill.

I also started restoring old lawn tractors. just finished a 322 Deere and I am working on a old Sears GT18 hydro.

But right now "I pick things up and put them down" Its like therapy. So if you need a hole dug for no reason at all call me.

Sounds like fun!! I'd love to do something like that but I don't think the Landlord would like like me digging holes around the apartment building :?.

Thanks for the ideas!!!

Nothing wrong with takin a break!! IMO, I think I'd rather have a driver at this point than a project, and maybe in your case if the nature of the project car isn't enough to keep you motivated then I would sell it!!

I also think that someone wi come along and buy the dart if you're still selling! I had the Tradesman can for 3 years taking up space in the shop, never even touched it.'out of the blue I get a message here that someone was interested in it!! Didn't even have it for sale!! Just dropped it off Monday for what I paid for it!!

It'll come back and you'll be glad you didn't sell your driver!! Good luck my friend!!

I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm not tired of the hobby but I got bored with my current hot rod, I'm already in waaaaay over my head on money and don't want to spend anymore on it. It's been "done " for two years now but I can't ever seem to stop spending on it.. I wanted to start something else, but no space or money and can't seem to sell what I have so,,, I put a cover on my Plymouth a couple weeks back and don't expect to uncover it much if any the rest of this year. One day it will either sell or I'll do another round of cash dump into it.
The newer R/T I've been trying to sell is getting traded in ... Giving up on trying to sell it outright too. I'm not giving up on the hobby, just taking a break for awhile to deal with some other life issues....

So, we did.

Your post is very inspiring as I am 61 yrs old still in the hobby and a lot of people around me in my neighborhood think I am immature and need to grow up. My wife and family support my interest of Mopars and my 5 grandkids call me Mopa. I wish I had a pair of Mopar buddies like you and your friend-too bad I don't live near you. I admire the two of you for sticking with the hobby despite your age and it gives me reason to not think I am too old for this hobby.

Your post is very inspiring as I am 61 yrs old still in the hobby and a lot of people around me in my neighborhood think I am immature and need to grow up. My wife and family support my interest of Mopars and my 5 grandkids call me Mopa. I wish I had a pair of Mopar buddies like you and your friend-too bad I don't live near you. I admire the two of you for sticking with the hobby despite your age and it gives me reason to not think I am too old for this hobby.

"Mopa"... LOL! I LOVE IT!!!! :blob:

Hang in there... you're still young!

But right now "I pick things up and put them down" Its like therapy. So if you need a hole dug for no reason at all call me.[/QUOTE]

If you are ever down this way with it I have plenty of virgin ground you can did holes that aren't needed.

Bill,
My good man, you are an inspiration to us all! :thumrigh::thumrigh:
Dallas

Thanks, Dallas!!! We're just two old farts havin' fun...

When the boost kicks in on that thing, it makes me smile from ear-to-ear.... that's what it's all about anyway, isn't it??? :D

-
Back