losing the choke on a TQ

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Has anybody done it? how hard is it to do? any pics would be great!

I don't have any pictures of that. (Yet) What exactly ar you thinking?
You could loose the choke, but, if it isn't just right outside, your not going to start the car so easy.

I don't have any pictures of that. (Yet) What exactly ar you thinking?
You could loose the choke, but, if it isn't just right outside, your not going to start the car so easy.

im thinking no choke for better airflow (i know they already flow well, but i think it would fun to try it out)...as for starting the car easy, i know it may not start right away, but im prepared to deal with that...are you in the process of doing this mod right now?

im thinking no choke for better airflow (i know they already flow well, but i think it would fun to try it out)...as for starting the car easy, i know it may not start right away, but im prepared to deal with that...are you in the process of doing this mod right now?

You ain't gonna notice a difference accept a car that is a pain to start cold.

04_04.JPG

you may not want to take the choke off a TQ did it many year ago hurt the over aal peromf. thought I had messed something up removing it was told by someone put it back in and wire it open did so and got every thing back thought it was just some I did wrong tryed it again same thimg happened it has something to do with the air flow that workes better with the choke there we were racing the car in NHRA stock classes beat time was 11.88 back in the 70ts

alright guys thanks for the input!

Removing the choke will require a re-jet since the air flow will increase by approx 60 cfm's.

If you did not re-jet there is about a 99% chance that the cruise circuit will be too lean and that alone will make the engine hard to start in cold weather.

You can expect about 20 more hp increase when properly re-jetted with choke removal and cold weather starting is not so bad. Besides, I want max performance! I build quite a few choke-less carbs and run one myself rear round, David.

DSCN1727.JPG

PICT0248.JPG

Removing the choke will require a re-jet since the air flow will increase by approx 60 cfm's.

If you did not re-jet there is about a 99% chance that the cruise circuit will be too lean and that alone will make the engine hard to start in cold weather.

You can expect about 20 more hp increase when properly re-jetted with choke removal and cold weather starting is not so bad. I build quite a few choke-less carbs and run one myself rear round, David.

I knew you'd pop up and straighten us out, ha ha!

LOL, he's da man and my go to guy.

Thanks David.

Demon sizzler wish I had known that back in the 70t but it make sences what we learn as we get older when we thought we just about new it all

I wish I had known more about ThermoQuads back in the 70's also. It took me many years of my own R&D to figure out ThermoQuads and a lot of different models to modify.

With the bad economy and so many out of work, I am likely to stop working on T.Q. 's and concentrate on my own car and find a full time job. The job market here in Ga is really pretty bad though and it has been tough finding a job.

Anyway, I plan to help with carb questions regardless, David.

You can expect about 20 more hp increase when properly re-jetted with choke removal and cold weather starting is not so bad. Besides, I want max performance! I build quite a few choke-less carbs and run one myself rear round, David.

thats exactly what i figured...if i rejetted it accordingly i could benefit from the increased airflow and power and it wouldnt be the bear to start up that most think it is...Im building my car for performance in the summer, so im not too concerned with having a choke...heck my buddy runs a holley dp no choke in the winter on his station wagon and he told me he's fine lol...20hp is a difference you can feel imo, so i would say its worth it

thanks for the info!

I totally agree with sizzler, i removed my choke plate approx 25 years ago. Back in the late '70s i bought a strip kit at the dealer,(the good old days) and jetted the carb up.....works great,is great

-
Back