loss of power while driving

-

mawler

Reaction score
I was at a stop sign today and the car completely shut off. The stereo was reset to default so I lost all constant power. The car started up after I put it in park and restarted it. I drive train is all new and so is the ignition system. Any ideas what this might be?

Let's start with "what year make and model" and does it have factory wiring?

Probably a bulkhead connector issue, or maybe fuse link, or even just a bad battery connection or cable.

What did you do to get it running again?

Did you have ANY power IE headlights, accessories, etc?

Give some details on the car itself.....year, model, etc. A lot of guys here can help narrow it down with more info.

Sound like a wiring issue of some type for sure? Maybe near the battery? Could even be a bulkhead connector problem since everything shutdown.

72 Duster. New factory front and engine harness. Have a 518 OD trans. Car ran great for 75 miles today and did this after sitting for an hour at the store. I just cycled the ignition to start it again. Started right up.

Some more car details.
New 360
roller cam
aluminum heads
street demon carb
Orange box
518 Trans
3.90 gears

Got about 300 miles on the motor and 100 on the trans.

Well of course it COULD be a bad ignition switch. Run some tests when you get time

Find ignition power under the hood. What are you running for a system, IE points, Mopar breakerless, MSD, etc.

Unhook the ignition box or make sure the points are open so you don't burn up the points or the coil , / box.

Clip your meter to the ignition buss so you can watch the meter. Wiggle the bulkhead connector. Wiggle the ignition switch connector under the column. Wiggle the switch itself.

Notice the voltage and compare to battery voltage, what is the difference voltage?

Then move the meter down to the ignition switch connector where it comes out of the column and check that for damage and intermittent connections.

You can download a 72 service manual fer free right here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

Also read this article on the problems with the infamous bulkhead connector

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Sounds like the bulkhead connector as mentioned, or somebody forgot to tighten something to me.

Those would be my first two thoughts on it.

Is your stereo wired through the ignition, or direct?
Meaning does the stereo go off when you turn off the car?

My gut feeling is a bulkhead connector or a wire loose in the bulkhead connector.

I do have a set of new gauges so the old ameter is out of the circuit replaced with a voltage gauge. A previous owner had done all kinds of weird **** to bypass the ignition and put in a pushbutton start but that has all been replaced. The wiring harness in the column is new too. The only part of the electrical system that is not new is the interior harness. I do have a classic auto air AC system now too but that wasn't on when the car shut off.

Sounds like the bulkhead connector as mentioned, or somebody forgot to tighten something to me.

Those would be my first two thoughts on it.

Is your stereo wired through the ignition, or direct?
Meaning does the stereo go off when you turn off the car?

Stereo ignition power is run off the stock location for switched power. I used the existing connector. Constant voltage is supplied from a wire that I am not sure where it originates but it is a constant +12.

Stereo ignition power is run off the stock location for switched power. I used the existing connector. Constant voltage is supplied from a wire that I am not sure where it originates but it is a constant +12.

Not sure of the answer here but my point was,
If the stereo is wired so that it goes off when you turn off the car, then the ignition switch could be the problem.

If the stereo is wired so that it stays on when you turn the car off and the stereo power went off when this happened, then it's not the ignition switch.

It turns out the problem was a weak connection in the new engine harness where power was coming back from the inside of the car. They dont make parts worth a **** anymore.

-
Back