Lost all Gears?

-

ALBA73

Reaction score
Went out this morning while it was still cool and the roads were still relatively clear and was just having a nice little cruise around.

I started to notice that while taking off at lights that I had to give it a little more rpm before my transmission would kick in and it felt really smooth compared to the normal jolt and off I would go.

Stopped to eat and when I started back up I found that I had no gears in any direction but as I went through them I eventually got moving in drive and I headed to the house.

I probably had about 15 miles to drive and as I got closer to home I noticed that my transmission would seem to gently change up to second and back to third and if I let the rpm get too low I would seem to loose drive completely.

Thankfully I made it all the way onto my driveway and I shut her down. About two hours later I went out and started her up to put her into the garage and there was nothing. I could shift through the gears but there was nothing in either forward or back.

That was when I had to enlist the help of my wife who of course said "WHAT NOW???" she loves my little car really LOL!!!

I have a 904 with a shift kit and a B & M shifter on the floor.

I will get into it tomorrow but any direction is greatly appreciated!

Bobby.

Check for a clogged filter. There tends to be a lot of crap floating around loose after some valve body work. I change fluid and filter roughly 200 miles after any sort of transmission work and haven't had any problems yet.

Check for a clogged filter. There tends to be a lot of crap floating around loose after some valve body work. I change fluid and filter roughly 200 miles after any sort of transmission work and haven't had any problems yet.

Didnt get out there today but I intend to check it. Got my Honey Due list started and then watched the Texans...wish I hadn't bothered!](*,)

TY!

Where do I find and how do I check the Kick Down? Is this a common problem?

Thanks for your comment!

the kickdown is the mechanical linkage from the carb to the trans. it should be set so that when pedal is floored linkage at trans is at end of travel

I have been thinking (and that is never a good thing) but I am wondering now if I could have tried to check the fluid level in park and not in neutral :-\"

If this was the case then maybe my tranny didn't need a full quart of fluid, could this have started or could it be my problem? OVERFILLED???

B~

OK...So...Got my tranny over to a guy in Cut N Shoot Texas and within about three minutes he had pulled the pump and confirmed to me that this was my problem.

Thank you to everyone that commented on this thread and what I would like to do is explain what caused my problem in the first place.

I hope this might help someone else down the line and I hope I am contributing a little for a change instead of asking questions all the time =D>

My mechanic told me that this is a common with inexperienced guys who don't get the splines on the transmission all the way lined up and far enough inside the torque converter when installing a motor or a tranny.

I am sure there are others out there that have heard that chilling "POP!" when tightening up the tranny bolts.

Well $50 for a pump and around $100 labor including all new seals buttoned up ready to go is a lot less painless than I was expecting and an important lesson learned.

All I have to do now is get it installed without causing the same problem again. I have my car up on ramps at the back and stands on the front so I have almost 2ft clearance to work and I used my bike jack under the pan to remove my tranny which worked fairly well. The only problem that I had was not quite enough clearance on the fire wall to get the tranny removed without taking the bolts out of the torque converter and removing both at the same time.

I have a few ideas about making it easier to go back in but any secret techniques or brilliant suggestions would be GREAT!

Thanks again for all your help!

Bobby.

-
Back