Lost & Confused !! Whats wrong now ?

-

girl1964

Reaction score
1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 4x4 High Intake
1. Jeep was wreaked on Pass. Front. Was fixed by Paint & Body Shop. 1 ½ yr. ago.
2. A/C would stop blowing cold when I hit a bump. Ignition fuse would blow (short out ) .
3. Drove for a yr. with No A/C.
4. 2 months ago, Jeep wouldn’t start. Towed to Mechanic Shop. Said it was Starter.
5. Changed Starter.
6. Made 300 mile trip. No problem.
7. Took back to shop for A/C (Fuse blowing). Was told it was the compressor.
8. Changed Compressor, Valves, & Condenser.
9. Picked it up. Drove it to work & back home. Left in it to go eat. Put $10 in Gas. Wouldn’t Start. Acting like it wasn’t getting gas.
10. Went back 3hr. later. No Start. Next day, No Start. Towed back to shop.
11. Next Day, they said it started right up. They checked it out, Said it was the fuel Pump.
12. Changed the Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter & Screen.
13. Picked it up, & drove it to work.(5miles) 45min. later, it wouldn’t start.(doing same thing)
14. Got 2 Mechanic’s to look at it, Coil was good on one side, not other. Said it wasn’t getting Fire.
15. Changed Coil.
16. Didn’t start.
17. Changed, Crank Shaft Poss. Sensor.
18. Didn’t Start., Was getting fire, acting like no fuel. Checked it ,(fuel & fuel pump) was working.
19. Next day, it started. Acted sluggish, Odometer was stuck till I hit pump. Then worked.
20. Took back to shop. Couldn’t find anything wrong but Vacc. Canister. No Check Engine Light. They drove it for 2 days. No problem they said. Picked it up.
21. Drove it next day and noticed it getting hotter than usual. Waited 2 hrs. then cranked it, it started getting hot, fast. Noticed Cooling Fan not working. Drove Home.
22. Noticed : All Relay’s in Black Box was having Problems along with Ignition Fuse sending Sparks. When the fuse was replaced, A/C would blow cold. But it would still start with it blown. Drove for a year. NOTE: All relays in Black Box were getting HOT.
23. Changed out all Relay’s in BB.(ALL RELAY’S IN BB HAVING PROBLEMS WITH)!!
24. Seamed to be working fine. Took for a 3 mile test drive. Had to stop 3 times to replace the Ignition fuse (a/c would work again). Almost home and the Jeep started shifting erratically, acting like it was running out of Gas. Barely got in drive way.
25. Sprayed Carb. Cleaner in the flapper, seam to wan to start.
26. Checked under BB. Don’t see any loose or cut wires under hood.
I need help please. 2 1/2 months & $3000 & no ride !! Can anyone help ?

Sounds like you have a short some were with all the blown fuses and the other problems sound like electrical too.
It may be in the connection a the black box ( electric junction box) or the side that was damaged.

I had a similar problem with a Grand AM, it turned out the motor mounts were soft and the engine settled lower and pinched a wiring harness. I replaced the mounts and had a friend (runs a repair shop) fix the wiring. He had a lift and it was much easier for him. It would come and go, just like yours. Mine would start though, but just barely ran. Look for crushed wiring harnes/ bad connector.

Sounds like you have a short some were with all the blown fuses and the other problems sound like electrical too.
It may be in the connection a the black box ( electric junction box) or the side that was damaged.
Just the Ignition fuse blows. I just changed the relay's and fues to elimanate. Seemed to me that all the problems i've been haveing, relates to the relay's in the Black Box. A/C, Starter, Cooling fan, Fuel Pump, & Auto Shut down

Sounds like you've made some mechanic very happy ... and fattened up his wallet quite a bit in the meantime. If it was my Jeep, I'd invest in a Chilton's manual and some tools and read every Jeep forum I could find. It's time to go to school girl!!!

Good luck!

I don't know why the fuse keeps blowing, other than something is drawing too much on it. You could try unplugging the electric fan and the a/c compressor too see if you can keep the fuse from blowing. If you get it to run all right plug in one or the other and see if you can determine which one may be causing a problem. Might not be either. As far as getting it to start, in my experience with the 4.0 HO I have had considerable trouble with the temperature sensor. Not the temp sending unit that works the dash gauge, but the sensor that tells the computor the water temp. This gauge can malfunction telling the computor that it is fifty below or something and when you crank it it will send far more fuel to the injectors than needed. The engine will have no chance of starting because of flooding. The sensor is easy to change with the right size socket. Be prepared to swap it quickly and you will only lose a few drops of coolant. This car is old. By now all kinds of people, with no clue, could have been messing with stuff.. The advice to buy the book is good. It is easy to read and may give you some insight to your problem.

The relays getting hot is "really" not a good thing.

Is it possible that the car suffered a massive short or fire or other heat damage which may have internally melted the harness somewhere?

Sometimes you just have to cut the wrapping / tape off the harness and inspect it.

You need to get yourself a wiring diagram/ service manual SO YOU CAN find out what all is serviced by that fuse

wow, serial rape. First the body shop, then the "mechanic", or as we call them "parts changer".

Spend a few bucks, and get the Mitchell online manual:

Mitchell On Demand repair subscription

Then you have the full Factory Service Manual, complete wiring diagrams, ALL of the TSB's, other mechanics tips & tricks...

I am always amazed by the so called mechanics that are actually doing OJT on your nickel.

An electrical problem that bad should be fairly obvious. Get a decent DMM, and start looking at the affected systems from the wiring diagram.

All it takes is patience, and attention to detail.

B.

With such a wide array of different problems, maybe the electronic portion, like the computer's not behaving correctly?

Walk away...Use the repair money to buy a new one. Sometimes repairs are not worth it on older vehicles, I would say this one might be a good candidate as a trade in or sell outright.

A friend of mine has a 91 and he used to have electrical problems all the time, Almost everytime we went out it seemed to lose fuel or spark or everything electrical... What we wound up doing over several months was clean and recrimp everything we could find, The under hood relay box was most of the problem, Dirty battery terminals made this worse and the fuse holder under the dash had corrosion. It took us a little while to figure this out but it finally does not leave him stranded on a regular basis. I agree with Cudachick get a chilton and start learning. professional mechanics use service manuels too.

Hope this helps,
Joe

-
Back