Lots of new stuff. Now if I could just get the EFI to work!

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
Gen 3 Hemi stroker in a bracket car. Head gasket issue. Removed headers and discovered that the one on the side with the blown gasket has 4 or 5 cracks in it, one big one down close to the collector. These headers were almost 10 years old so it was time to replace them. Heads are "Eagle" heads, aluminum. Had the machine shop surface them and check them over real good, one had some pitting. Had to remove 5 thousandths. Also having issues with 4 year old Holley Sniper EFI unit, so bought another one of those. Put it all back together and it's idling fine, no leaks. Let it idle for about 10 minutes to check for overheating, water leaks, etc. all good! All I have to do now is load my tune into the new EFI unit and I'm ready to go racing, but it will not let me load my tune file from my laptop. It seems the Holley program on my laptop is too old of a version to talk with the new ECU! No problem. Holley has the latest versions available for download on their website so I upgraded to the latest version of the software but no, it still says I have the old outdated software. Sheesh! Why didn't I just go back to carburetor! I guess I'll have to wait until Monday and see if someone at tech support can help. :BangHead::mad:

UPDATE: I got the computer talking to the ECU unit, so I can load in my old tune and head for the track next week! I'll spare you all of the geeky details as to what I had to do to get it to work, but it's working!

Irritating to say the least. I was never a Motorola 2 way radio programming expert, but I was involved in the few years I worked with that. You could "brick" a radio if you were not careful with software versions. How'd ya like to tell THAT to a customer. Then you get to ship the radio in to Motorola to do whatever they do

Hope you get it working. I purchased a complete holley Dominator efi I hope to have it installed on my street car sometime next year.

Hope you get it working. I purchased a complete holley Dominator efi I hope to have it installed on my street car sometime next year.
I would strongly recommend you get the car dyno tuned. I've tried to do it myself by simply taking it down the track and reading the datalogs and plugs. I finally got the tune right but it took a lot of trips to the track. Also if you run leaded race fuel that stuff eats O2 sensors and you'll be replacing them every 4 to 6 months depending on how much you run it.

I've got two wide bans. It's only 11 to 1 I'm going to tune it for 93 unleaded, e85, and 300 spray on e85. I also have a flex fuel sensor for it.

-
Back