Loud grinding noise: won't restart

-

jwh70valiant

Reaction score
I was driving my 1970 valiant today when there was a loud knock. I immediately put the car in neutral and the engine died. After getting the car home, I tried to restart, but only got a grinding noise. I checked my oil, which had no water iin it. I am thinking that I may have spun a rod. I took my starter off and observed the fly wheel and starter wheel; both still had teeth and did no show any signs of missing any.

yeah; I can turn it to a point, and then I can't turn it any more; something seems to be blocking one of the pistons.

i have the valve cover off, which shows years of neglect by the previous owner. im planning to remove the head tomarrow, so I will know more then.

Check your torque converter bolts, hopefully one just backed out and is hitting the block.

I checked the torque screws. They were all secured. I removed the spark plugs and placed a screwdriver in the sockets. All of the pistons moved except the last one, which seems to indicate a bad rod. Does anybody know a way to remove the oil pan without having to remove the engine? Eventually, Im probably going to have to remove the engine anyway, to see if any more damage was done when the rod broke.

Might as well just pull the engine at this point. I do not believe there is any other way to drop the pan without having to disconnect the mounts and at that point the engine can be removed easily anyway.

A few months ago I filled up with gas and when I was leaving the station I punched it. When it hit second the car died and I heard a grinding noise. Went to restart it and when if fired up I heard grinding, so I shut it off. It turned out I tore the neck off the torque converter and that was the noise. I'm not saying this is your problem......but could be. MMG

A few months ago I filled up with gas and when I was leaving the station I punched it. When it hit second the car died and I heard a grinding noise. Went to restart it and when if fired up I heard grinding, so I shut it off. It turned out I tore the neck off the torque converter and that was the noise. I'm not saying this is your problem......but could be. MMG

Easy enough to just pull torque converter/flywheel bolts and turn engine over to see if that's the issue.

Easy enough to just pull torque converter/flywheel bolts and turn engine over to see if that's the issue.

Yes, that's true. Before mine would restart, it acted like the battery was going dead(Wouldn't turn over). When it finally started, the grinding was nasty. I hope it is his trans like mine was. If its the engine, the expense will be much worse. MMG

Have you checked for Positve Crankcase Ventilation ??

P1030655.jpg

I didnt know this car had PCV. Where is it and how do I access it? the reason I thought it might be a rod is I can turn the engine over by hand to a point, until it stops, as if something is jamming one of the pistons. I would hate to think that I broke a piston, so if it is something like the PCV, which Im sure will be much easier to access then having to pull the engine and tear it down. thanks!

Look at the picture again,you can definately see that its positively crankcase vented.

pulled the motor. I found that the sixth piston rod has split into 3 pieces. It seemed nothing short of a miracle that it didn't crack the block. Also found the other five pistons were black. Turns out the oil pump quit working along time ago. I replaced the rods, oil pump, water pump along with all the seals. it also had a bent valve, so I replaced that. Motor is back in the car and its running good. However, it still has a small oil leak. I find that strange as I just replaced all of the gaskets. Could that be the PCV valve?

Where is the oil leak. Real main can be tricky to get to seal. There is a GREAT write up over on the articles page of slantsix.org.
Frank

I helped a friend put a purple cam in a hyd slant motor, we pulled the head, new chain yadda yadda, well he takes it out and runs it on a long 500 mile trip and poof...the oil pump gear gives taking the cam gear and oil psi with it, he spun all the rod bearings....

slants are so bullet proof, but the oil pump gear...is the achilles heel for all app's.

The oil leak is coming off the rear of the motor. I forget what its called, but the oil is dripping off of the plate in front of the flywheel.

-
Back