Love the Gasser Look!! Maybe...

-

Drg racr

Reaction score
When I was a little squirt, my dad had a B/GS '55 Chevy he and a buddy raced at Indy. The nose, I swear, was 5ft in the air!! I always loved that look, so I was thinking, what if I did my '69 notch in a gasser style? It's just a thought I was tossing around. I really don't know if I'd do it, but it sounds interesting.
Thoughts?

Well go for it.. I just love the old cuda's . my first car was a 67 cuda notchback .w/
a 273 ran the **** out of it. very fun car.

Please don't!

At this point, the gasser thing has been beaten to death. Everyone with an old shoe box has an 'ex-racer' with a nose-high stance. They all get the same imitation 12 spoke wheels too which never look right.

If you care about being historically correct, the gasser thing was basically over around '65-'66. The AWB cars basically took care of that idea since they were performing almost as well or better than some of the hot rods. Consequently, the technology evolved pretty quickly at that point and the AWB cars quickly morphed into tube-chassis floppers.
The gassers hung around for a few more years but the nose-high stance fell out of favor and the cars actually got pretty low in front as they got faster. They also were basically funny cars at that point with tube frames and flopper bodies.

IMO the later muscle cars ('65-up) don't really lend themselves to that look, especially the fuselage/Coke bottle style from the later '60s, like your 'Cuda. Sure, there were plenty of 'street freak' muscle cars back in the late '60s-early '70s driving around with straight axles but even then it was silly.

Traction tech has evolved to the point where you can go into the 8's on leaf springs so a straight axle is probably not going to result in much better performance. Might add some room in the engine bay and get the attention at a cruise night but that's about it.

This is all just me though. It's your car!

I love gassers as well and I'm not concerned what other people say so I would build one. If you want to make your notch into one then do it! It's your car. However I'm not sure I personally would do a car that new. For me the cut off date for gasser is 66. I always wanted a early a gasser. But just because I wouldn't turn a 69 notch into one doesn't mean you shouldn't. Have at it!

the only thing you're going to do is beat me to it in about 2 or 3 years I'm going to start a gasser project after I give the Duster to my son. So go for it beat me to the punch if you want to I wouldn't care what year it was even if it was a 2010 challenger! Do what you want to do make yourself happy! Personally I was looking at doing an older forties Dodge truck with the running boards but that's just what my girlfriend wants so that's what I want it doesn't matter what year it. that's what's going to make us happy!

It's not a gasser but it's close as I can get and still drive the streets!!

treblig

Attachments

• DSC04275.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC04252.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC04253.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC04280.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 208
-
Back