I had a leaking brake hose on the passengers front
replaced the hose, bleed the system, check adjustment on all 4 wheels

Now, when first pump of the brake
goes almost to the floor
multiple pumps pedal comes up, holds pressure

release brake pedal
1 pump does the same thing > goes to floor
brakes were fine before, except for hose was wet at fitting

??? Do I still have air in the system???
Double checked the brake shoe adjustment
check master cylinder this morning > still full

thanks

Is this a 4-drum system?
This is a classic indication of air in the system, or very loosely adjusted shoes.Since you say the pedal does in fact get hard, I'm going with the latter.
Well you didn't exactly say the pedal gets hard, you said holds pressure.
So, IF the pedal gets hard, with multiple pumps,then look to the adjustments.
But if the pedal holds pressure,like you say, but feels springy, then look for air.

Perhaps the shoes are not adjusted tight enough. If you crank them ALL hard and still have a mushy pedal, then look for air. But if the pedal then is hard, the problem is not likely to be air.

Last edited:
Is this a 4-drum system?
This is a classic indication of air in the system, or very loosly adjusted shoes.Since yo say the pedal does in fact get hard, I'm going with the latter.
Yes, 4 drums
I'll jack it up check the drag on the shoes again
kind of hard to do on the rear > Spool
so I'll pull the wheels and manually check the rears with a drum/shoe gauge.

Brakes were fine until changing the hose

That's why I'm confused what's wrong
Have bled the brakes enough to change the fluid....lol

Brakes were fine until changing the hose
Is that true? or do you mean "fine until changing the hose" AND "check adjustment on all 4 wheels"?
Forget the drag method . Make sure the parking brake is fully released.Fully released.
Crank them all tight until resistance is felt at the adjuster, then hit the pedal to center everything up. Then adjust some more until you again feel resistance. Repeat all 4 corners. Now check pedal feel. IT should get hard, and almost right away.If not hard look for air.After the pedal is hard;
back off each corner 3 clicks, and recenter the shoes with a pedal application. Then check for drag at each corner.Back off only the tight ones up to 3 more clicks. Recenter the shoes with a pedal application.Once more, loosen only the remaining ones if necessary, up to 3 more clicks. 6 clicks from tight should be loose enough.But let common sense be your guide.If you have to go much looser than that on a particular corner, you may have a mechanical issue.
Road test it.
And finally, adjust the parking brake.

I wouldn't rely on the measuring method. You may get precise measurements, But the reality is that the star-adjusters still have final say on things.Leave the wheels on and use them for leverage.Don't try it with loose drums. The drums have to be tight to the flanges. On the fronts, the wheel bearings should be adjusted first. The rear wheel bearings, if still the tapered type, should also be adjusted first. If Greens,there should be Zero play in the up/down direction.A bent drum, or an oval drum, or a drum not seated on it's flange, will give false readings

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to retire.....lol.
So what was wrong with the W/C? so I can learn something. I mean you said no leaks and holds pressure.What did I miss
Car has been sitting in the barn for awhile
moved it from the barn to the shop.
At first brakes seem ok
but the next day pedal went to the floor
that's when I noticed the wet hose
changed it.
pedal would hold
next day pedal went to floor

guess, the w/c decided to start leaking.
when I removed the drum,
pried the rubber boot back from the w/c, fluid ran out

-
Back