low comp 440 cam choice help

-

1968 Valiant

Reaction score
Hey all, Im sure this has been answered her a million times but I need some clear and simple advice.

I have a 78 440 out of a motorhome Im prepping to drop in my valiant. It has 452 heads and I have checked all the main clearences. The motor is in great shape. I plan to run it as is. The pistons are .152 in the hole.

I scrapped all the smog junk and am ready to chose a cam and intake set up. Any advice would be much appreciated. This will never see the track (well maybe the track parking lot...) It is a low buck toy for me to play with.

68 Valiant

I'm no expert here but I would say something close to a factory 440 magnum grind would work. Go too big and it will give you drivability issues.

............ya, at 7.5 compression u cant go much over stock...the new fast rae cams help alot...engle, lunati etc.........kim........

Something ,on a 110 or 112 Lobe center.Around 218 to 224 @ .050.Look for an 8 to 12 degree split.lift,.480 to .500.

I ran two different ones. The one that I ran the longest was the Magnum cam. I ran it in a 74 Dart Sport with 3.55's, 76 440 with low-compression and a Holley 750 and SD intake. Plenty of snap and was mellow enough to drive every day.

I'll give you two cams on the mild side. Wont sound real racy, but you'll get the low/mid range torque to run strong with that low comp. ratio.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60301/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-21-221-4/

And don't forget to use a good timing curve with alot of initial.

As far as intake manifold i'd go dual plane for sure. Probably a Eddy Performer, unless your going to step up this engine later, then you could probably go Perf. RPM. As far as carb, maybe a Eddy Thunder series 650/800 AVS. Even a stock iron manifold with a T/Q would probably run decent.

I have a low compression 440 that I just put a comp extreme energy 278 cam in it. It's on a 110 lsa to help build cylinder pressure, and a 106 centerline. It's running 12.9 in the quarter so far running really rich. I'm guessing it will drop another 4 tenths once tuned.

I have a low compression 440 that I just put a comp extreme energy 278 cam in it. It's on a 110 lsa to help build cylinder pressure, and a 106 centerline. It's running 12.9 in the quarter so far running really rich. I'm guessing it will drop another 4 tenths once tuned.

I didn't see a 278 Xtreme Energy listed on Comp's website. They did show a 274 .488/.491 lift 110 lsa, 106 centerline. Thinking about getting one of their "K" kits.

-
Back