Low mount alternator revisited...

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Moroso sells one for $180..F that! I just did one for under $40. I have a Meziere water pump and a +.5" CAT damper so I was all screwed up on stock part availabilty. Get yourself a junkyard alternator off a Suzuki Swift/Geo Tracker/Chevy Sprint. They are all the same 55amp Denso alternator (10 more A than stock for my '65) . Then grab the pulley off the power steering pump right next to the alternator (because you want to use the 3 rib belt, not a V belt), on with 4 10mm bolts. Take it home, clean it up and replace your lower passenger side timing chain cover bolt with a 6" piece of 3/8 threaded rod. Drill out the metric bolt holes on the Denso frame to 3/8 and slide it onto the threaded rod. Get yourself 2 heim joints and a turnbuckle and use your upper bottom left (as facing) water pump bolt as the anchor for your adjuster and the stock adjuster bolt hole onj the Denso frame for the other anchor. Take your Suzuki P/S pump pulley and weld it to your damper washer (or if running a standard belt, replace the alternator pulley with a V style, good luck on that, try an Isuzu truck alt, only modern one I saw with a V pulley) I eyeballed it and it came out super close if not dead on concentric. It wont bolt on as I though because its cupped before the damper bolt circle, but the weld looks like itll work and there is no way its turning under 135 ft lbs of torque the damper bolt gets. I used another washer behind it to get it to line up, shim the threaded rod to line up with the new pulley with your old alternator's spacer tube cut to fit. Ther you go, Im getting the heim joints tomorrow but also looked into using the Suzuki adjuster bracket bolted to an extension off my Meziere pumps mounting bolts with a C looking bracket out of 1/4 plate AL. If I were to start over, I would have made the water pump plate (that DOESNT come with the Meziere pump) with a mounting ear for the mini alternator. If it doesnt work, it was only $40 and an afternoon off.

PS> You can do it off the driver side too but you have a little less room as the cylinders are closer on that side, ideal for the V belt option as the stock Mopar pulley is much deeper than the flush welded Suzuki pully.
052312195807.jpg

052312133906.jpg

Yes ! This is just what the Witch Doctor ordered ! Great Idea, and one I am looking into this weekend !

finished. I used a 4.75 3/8 bolt for the mounting bolt, the 3/8 allthread was too weak for a stable mount. Ended up using a straight slant six alternator adjuster bracket off the top bolt of the pump with a little clearance for the pump and a closer bolt mount hole drilled. Lined up perfectly and found a Autozone 268K3 (Dayco 5030268 ) micro-V belt (spec'd from a 2008 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0L MFI DOHC 4cyl) 26.5 inch 3 rib belt to wrap it with. Nice and compact. Was looking for a nicer looking adjuster mechanism but The heim joints I wanted to use were $15 a piece and the eye ends were way too large to fit on the Meziere pump bolts. Works for me.

Ill get another tonight, crackberry died after I finished. 25inch belt may be more snug, Im at full extension on a 26.8

And for you other worry warts, that chicks tits died a few years ago too.

-
Back