low reverse band question

-

jay dcpt

Reaction score
So I removed the pan on my 727 and found quite a bit of metal shavings on the pan. This is a rebuilt unit with 9000 miles on it. Now the lever for the low reverse band is loose am I mistaken but isn't there suposed to be tension on that lever? If I pull it down it just stays there. I was just going to do a filter change and was going to adjust the bands while I was at it. And was a little shocked when I saw the amount of metal. The car never slipped and had every gear. I had it rebuilt previously because it lost reverse. Any advice?

Usually metal shavings indicate a planetary failure. Fiber material would be bands or clutches.

Usually metal shavings indicate a planetary failure. Fiber material would be bands or clutches.

Could also be the Steels......... Don't ask me how I know! Lol
The trans that came in my scamp had the most messed up Cupped worn out steels I have ever seen. Metal shavings in the pan etc. Planetary's were fine.

You could have a broken Cracked cocked Rear Servo. Common issue to have. Get a Billet one! They are cheap.

Thanks for the replys fellas I appreciate all the input bu t with. The original post on the l r band and lever is thAt not suposed to have tension on it at all times? Or is what I described normal?

............U tork the rear band to 72 inch pounds the back it off 2 turns.....no tension until it is applied..........kim.....

That band when adjusted correctly should have about 3/8 play prying on it with a screw driver. Adjust it snug with a short wrench and back it off 2-4 turns, depending on what band you have tighten the lock nut.

Ok thank you that is exactly the specs i have so i still have a problem. Tha nks everyone

I dont have to pry with a screwdriver it literally just flops back and forth not normal huh?

I dont have to pry with a screwdriver it literally just flops back and forth not normal huh?

Either your rear band is broke or the servo is trash. Seems to me that if you can adjust the band correctly it has to be the Servo......IDK?

-
Back