low rise lift questions

-

Penstarpurist

Reaction score
I picked up a low rise lift today, used but in decent shape. Guy said it's a bendpack, but decals are worn off. I am having a new shop built this fall and will put in a 2 post 11k lift new but wanted a 2nd lift for doing brakes, tire rotations, body work etc. Well the lift worked at the place I got it. But the guy uncoupled the pump to ram hose and now it's not going up all the way and is belching, spewing and foaming. I did add hydraulic jack oil as it leaked on the way home. Any suggestions on what to do to get it working right?

Jack oil may or may not be what you want in there. First thing I'd do is work on ID'ing it......post photo here as well........and see if you can find some destructions

I would think if the pump is not AFU and it has oil, bleeding should be a simple matter of cycling it all the way up and all the way down without a load a couple of times

Unfortunately these are the ones I've got on my phone. They are the ones he sent me. I'll get better ones in the a.m when the sun is back out.
Jack 1.jpg
IMG_20170613_200247.jpg

The picture is a bit misleading, it is a single hose system. It just couples from a hydraulic fitting on the pump to a fitting on the ram. The other fittings are for speed adjustments, so I was told anyways.

What I'm getting at is how did you have the pump oriented when you tested it?

A quick Google says hydraulic oil or Dexron II

I had the pump sitting on the deck of my trailer next to the lift with the hose laying flat stretched out next to it.

Is there a vent on the fluid reservoir? If so, make sure it's opened a couple turns. Should be closed when transporting the unit. Also, mines uses Auto Transmission fluid.

Pat

I didn't see a vent on it, but became frustrated with it, I easily could have missed it. I'll check for that first thing in the daylight as the unit is still sitting on my car hauler deck. I'm sure it has to be pulling air in. It became so pressurized in the reservoir it actually launched the rubber fill plug out 5 feet with a solid stream of hydraulic fluid and air hissing. I know the plug is not right as the fill hole is threaded and should be a threaded plug. I'll replace that tomorrow, drain all the old foamy fluid out and maybe get non foaming hydraulic fluid.

Most of those hoists use atf. Its an air issue for sure.fully cycling of cylinder will burp it.

I actually drained the fluid, when I got it out it was infected with water. Flushed the system using power steering fluid as it's a non foaming hydraulic fluid. Transmission fluid is a hydraulic fluid but not always anti foam. It had a couple burps and surges for the first couple cycles. But we picked up the Big block duster with ease, had it up for a couple weeks. Hit the lift valve on it once, and it picked it up off the locks and lowered down nice and steady. So far so good. I did replace a couple of tank fittings that looked a little iffy as well. The guy said it was always kept indoors, but I'm thinking he was a little shady. Thanks for the advice, when I change the fluid I'll look into atf.

Your power steering fluid should work fine as well. Most atf is anti-foaming also. Having a hoist of any kind is a big help, i use a 4 post, and could never be without one.

I'm waiting for my new shop to be built. Got all the site prep complete, just waiting for the builders to come in September. Then I'll be putting in an 11k 2 post lift, hopefully two of them. Then life will be good, no more laying on the concrete driveway.

I'm waiting for my new shop to be built. Got all the site prep complete, just waiting for the builders to come in September. Then I'll be putting in an 11k 2 post lift, hopefully two of them. Then life will be good, no more laying on the concrete driveway.
If you are going for two hoists, consider one of each. I have worked with both and the old in floor single ram air hoist.
My preference for oil changes and transmission service is the 4 post.
Even brake jobs are much easier as the ramps are an excellent place to pile wheels parts and tools.
Sadly they add 5 inches to the underhood working height.

Four post better for beginners too, like lifting an unbalanced vehicle. Never heard of anyone dropping a car off a four post.

Exhaust work is great on a four post.

I would like to have along with the low rise lift, a four post and two post. I agree the 4 post is a safer than any 2 post. Part of the big reason we are getting a two post is to do head studs on our powerstroke ford. Which are so much easier to do with the cab off. Fortunately I've got some experience with a lift and my boys have spent the last 3 years working hours a day around 2 post lifts out of their school shop. But if I find a great deal on both styles I will definitely get both types.

I would like to have along with the low rise lift, a four post and two post. I agree the 4 post is a safer than any 2 post. Part of the big reason we are getting a two post is to do head studs on our powerstroke ford. Which are so much easier to do with the cab off. Fortunately I've got some experience with a lift and my boys have spent the last 3 years working hours a day around 2 post lifts out of their school shop. But if I find a great deal on both styles I will definitely get both types.

I worked in a ford dealership next to the star of the show,diesel tech. That man could do the whole job in 20 hours. It was amazing to watch the parts fly. Has a couple tools he made himself to assist with certain things. Shop owner was mad to see spray paint on the floor, until he realized it was for re-aligning truck to put cab back down.

Yeah, I bet the shop owner was mad about the spray paint on the floor. Lol. I was planning to use some 2" blue tape or something like that to mark the floor to line the truck back up. Since hopefully only having to do the head studs once.

-
Back