Lowballers

-
Whats with some people? How come guys think they can get something for nothing?....

Because that's the name of the game. I don't understand why sellers get upset when people make an offer that the seller feels is too low. Both parties should be looking at any opening number (whether the buyer's or the seller's) as a STARTING POINT.

If you are trying to buy something you start low. If your trying to sell something, you start high. Very simple, very basic.

If, as a seller, you believe that the price you've selected is fair, and that's what you're going to get for your piece, you are naive.

If, as a buyer, you believe that you're going to get the part you want at a lowball price, you are naive.

Further, when selling, there is a very high probability that you're going to have to deal with more than one potential buyer. That doesn't mean that those you couldn't make a deal with are idiots. They as you, have a number in mind, and unless the other party is willing to meet that number, there will be no deal. It's called negotiating, and it's not always successful.

There have been more times than I can count that I refused to buy or sell something at the other guy's price, even after negotiating. It happens. It's nothing to get upset about, it merely the nature of the beast. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't.

Deal with it, and move on.

If I post something for sale, I tell 'em up front: It's negotiable, or it isn't.

If it isn't, and you try, the price goes up. I price my stuff fair and once the price starts going up...it will NOT go back down.

If it is negotiable, you have to come look at it before you're allowed to make an offer. (pics suffice for 'net deals). Give me a good reason for dropping the price (My wife died, my dog left, it's dirty, it's not dirty enough, it's ugly, my mom drove a chevy, my mom is ugly, whatever), and I'll haggle accordingly.

And if I go to buy something (I don't make offers without looking at it) and I feel like lowballing, I pull out a pre-counted wad of cash of what I'm offering. No haggling first. I mean business, dammit.

I agree in principle with looking first. But I also appreciate a prospective buyer who is upfront about what he wants to pay. Saves us both time if I'm not agreeable. A lowball offer usually means the buyer isn't serious enough to invest what the item is worth. I'd rather not waste my time in person. Time on the phone or email isn't worth much. I'm secure enough not to let these people insult me. It's just a game.

If you're gonna get your little girl panties in a wad because of an offer, then you ain't got no business sellin a damn thing. You best shut the hell up and be damned glad somebody is at all interested in buying any of your frikkin worthless junk at all. How's that grab you?

If you're gonna get your little girl panties in a wad because of an offer, then you ain't got no business sellin a damn thing. You best shut the hell up and be damned glad somebody is at all interested in buying any of your frikkin worthless junk at all. How's that grab you?
Straight, and to the point. Truth is, an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If all the offers are lowball, then either the item isn't worth what you think, or you are not advertising in the right place. Which still means the item isn't worth what you think to that specific audience. Want to see what something is really worth? Put it on eBay with a $0.99 opening bid for a 7 day auction, and cross-promote on every interest group and forum you can.

I disagree. Value is in the eye of the beholder. If you want to sell you need a thicker skin. If they told you your price was crazy then yes be mad.But just because they offer what they can afford is not reason. I disagree that because a man doesnt have deep pockets he cant pursue his hobby.
I agree with you on this. I have been a single income for 23 years but I set a budget and stuck to it for the most part. Sure there are cars I'd rather have besides my '73-74 Dart. But, It's mine and It's coming along nicely. I may never be able to afford my dream car but I Love this littler 2 door V8. I will say this.........Being a decent mechanic is a big plus in this hobby.....If you have to pay someone else to do everything you will probably never recoup your investment. Also, These cars are 35-50 years old or more so It's a challenge to keep them running at times even for the best Mehanics I'd imagine. I turned wrenches for almost 30 years and still need help with most things I do to my Dart. Deep pockets or not it can be done. Just takes longer for some of us.:D

I gotta tell you, I ain't a fan of the beak cars AT ALL, but you've done a nice job with yours. I'd be proud to cruise with you anytime.

I agree with you on this. I have been a single income for 23 years but I set a budget and stuck to it for the most part. Sure there are cars I'd rather have besides my '73-74 Dart. But, It's mine and It's coming along nicely. I may never be able to afford my dream car but I Love this littler 2 door V8. I will say this.........Being a decent mechanic is a big plus in this hobby.....If you have to pay someone else to do everything you will probably never recoup your investment. Also, These cars are 35-50 years old or more so It's a challenge to keep them running at times even for the best Mehanics I'd imagine. I turned wrenches for almost 30 years and still need help with most things I do to my Dart. Deep pockets or not it can be done. Just takes longer for some of us.:D

I guess. I'm not really that sensitive about it but in my opinion there should be decorum involved with these transactions. Kinda like honor among thieves if you will.

Low ball offers are sleazy if you ask me. Blackbomber said it pretty well in that if you come in with a super low offer it really means you're not serious about buying something.

It's similar to my other thread where guys try to sell cars for way over inflated prices. Often they are not real serious about selling.

But hey you can call me out for getting my panties in a bunch, that's fine. I'd be willing to bet you would react the same way though to someone who offered half of what you were asking, even if it was junk like you say. Of course you say no thanks and move on but somewhere it is still bothersome because you have a certain arbitrary price in your head. When someone thinks that your arbitrary price is too high, you have to be a little perturbed, it's just human nature. That's all I am saying.

What's your tactic for buying something you don't want to pay full price for?

and i agree with this ^^. i have been building my own mopars for 2 1/2 decades. i build all my own engines, i do all my own interiors, paint and body work and suspensions. i have dragged cars out of fields and completely restored them without them leaving my garages until they were under their own power and looking extremely sharp. maybe not a concours resto but all mine . i could never afford to farm out any of the work let alone outright buy one that someone has already restored, let alone want to, because i am that picky about details. i can build a car for a fraction of the cost it takes for someone to drag a car around the city for blasting, paint, interior etc etc. there are relative reasons for me to lowball someone. if they dont like it to frickin bad. i have my reasons for doing it. but, i go after the cars that have been sitting and havent been hacked up . i go after nice bodies and chrome. i dont go after the cars people have claimed to have dumped a bunch of cash into because running or not, i am going to tear it all down anyway.

Seriousness has nothing to do with it. At least not for me. When I make an offer, it is an offer that is within the budget constraints of being disabled. I don't have a lot of money to throw at my hobby. It would seem some people think that since I and others are on a tight budget, that we should not even be building a car. My "tactic" for buying something for my HOBBY is to make an offer. Period. I never get mad when someone makes an offer on something I am trying to sell. I am grateful for any offer at all.

Think of it another way. People look at something for sale , and the way the economy has been they have in their mind you are selling because you "need" the money. With that in mind I think that's where a lot of this comes from. It really isn't anything to get offended by as it really is the nature of the beast as Frankie said.

Lowballers have been around forever. You never know unless you try. I have been treated the same way in the past and if you don't want to sell at that price you just move on.

it is common knowledge that when people put anything up for sale, they always start high. they are selling. they want the most they can get out of it. 9 times out of 10 ,they are expecting lower offers, that is why they start with an inflated price, so when the dealings begin there is room to haggle without "taking a loss". you notice the cars that dont sell continually popping up not having been sold. these are the folks that are not going to bargin and think they are sitting on a gold mine.

take this dart sport for instance, this car is 30 miles from me. this car hit CL 9 months ago at $2500. i called this guy and without seeing it , i offered him 1500 cash. he laughed at me and told me "numbers matching" bla bla bla. so i hung up on him. he was a ***. i have been watching this car drop in price 2500 to 2000 to 1800 to 1500 and now it is at 1300!!! do you think for a minute i was wrong lowballing him? he should have taken my 1500. ~~~a numbers matching 225 /6 !! what a find LOL~~~

74' Dodge Dart Sport 2 door - $1300 (Monument)

I have a 1974 NUMBERS MATCHING Dodge Dart, same body style as the Demon, just newer,
Selling because I dont have time to work on it with School,sports and a job.
CAR RUNS ! just threw some gas in the carb and it fired right up! needs to be trailer'd home. Not quite in drivable condition.
has the slant 6 in it
very little rust after sitting 20 years!
WILL CONSIDER TRADES!
Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

• ds11.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 134
  • ds12.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 125
LOL, The moral of all this is get some thicker skin. Someone on this forum told me that a while back and it was GREAT advice. Actually changed my life a bit. When Haggling on price remember it's just BUSINESS. Even if you have an emotional attachment to the Car/Part.

To me, people who are on a budget and have to make deals for everything are the most loyal Mopar bunch. How easy would it be and how much money would be saved switching to chebbie? The temptation for someone not finacially blessed to switch brands is greater, IMO. To me, somehow it takes more fortitude to remain Mopar loyal being broke so to speak.

If we did not have the hagglers can you imagine how expensive this stuff would be?? Everything would have a Barrett Jackson price attached to it.

To me, people who are on a budget and have to make deals for everything are the most loyal Mopar bunch. How easy would it be and how much money would be saved switching to chebbie? The temptation for someone not finacially blessed to switch brands is greater, IMO. To me, somehow it takes more fortitude to remain Mopar loyal being broke so to speak.

100% on this FOR SURE. i wheel and deal on everything i am working on. i would rather wait and save some money and find what i need on the cheap than run right out and dump 600 bucks on an A body 8 3/4. money has been tight lately but i manage. i could have easily sold my mopar crap and have 10 fully restored camaros or mustangs lol

I've had people turn around and make a comment,I'll give you this much for it,with my response of "I'm sure you would" only problem being "I won't accept it" !!! But on the other hand,someone would make me a low ball offer,and depending on the Vibes I got from the person I may just let them have it !!

low ball offers dont bother me
insanely high asking prices piss me off
but the worst are "make offer" with no asking price!?!?!?!?!? MORONS!

I had a telecaster for sale on craigslist, someone sent me this, "I'll give you $125 today only for it"

I replied " HA!!! NO way, NO how, NOT now, NOT ever, NO deal"

see nothing to get upset about, (never heard back from the guy)

I usually include something like "not trying to be a cheap *** but out of necessity....." or sum such, because for me, that's how it has to be. IF I am gonna have a hobby at ALL.

It kind of does already...
Things could be a lot worse. Are you being forced into selling anything to these low ballers? If not, then what is the problem, walk away. You could sell something for $5 today and have the $5 or hold on to it, maybe forever, waiting to get what YOU think it is worth. There are very few bottomless wallets anymore. Fact of life. Maybe your expectations of what things are worth is to high?? Could always take up rock collecting.......

It goes both ways. Sometimes the price IS WAY OFF. Perfect example is the guy I tried to get clutch oedals from. $400 for clutch pedals? Rusty used ones? Are you sure?

Even after proving market value to this guy,he still wanted $350.

I know what you mean, i have been offered 13 14 thousand for my 73 dart sport 340 numbers car 52000 , this car is super straight and rust free , beautiful paint and stripes already done for you .Turn key and go . But they will pay 13 for rust and have to fix it and paint it , or they will buy junk every time.

Attachments

• car side on (640x480).jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Back view (640x480).jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Engine 2 (640x480).jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCI0073 (640x480).jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 112
  • spare tire (640x403).jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 89
  • under car1 (640x480).jpg