Lower ball joint drum to disc to drill or not?

-

EvanS

Reaction score
Long and the short of it... I bought a disc brake conversion from POL and also ordered a deluxe suspension rebuild kit and they advised me to get the drum brake lower ball joint several years ago. Personal reasons kept me from working on my project until now and I cannot return or exchange them and they want me to spend an extra $100 to get some b-body ones that will work. Now to my question, has anyone just drilled out their lower ball joint with success or should I fork out the extra $100 for new lower ball joints? Pictures of success and anything to look out for when drilling would be appreciated. TIA

I've drilled many of them. No problem. I did a bunch of SSBC swaps and drilling them was in the directions.

Only thing I would say is only drill on the replaceable part, not the spindle

Long and the short of it... I bought a disc brake conversion from POL and also ordered a deluxe suspension rebuild kit and they advised me to get the drum brake lower ball joint several years ago. Personal reasons kept me from working on my project until now and I cannot return or exchange them and they want me to spend an extra $100 to get some b-body ones that will work. Now to my question, has anyone just drilled out their lower ball joint with success or should I fork out the extra $100 for new lower ball joints? Pictures of success and anything to look out for when drilling would be appreciated. TIA
The spindle to ball joint is a taper fit. Is it sure the spindle is a straight through hole? Personally I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

The spindle to ball joint is a taper fit. Is it sure the spindle is a straight through hole? Personally I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.
Lower ball joint to spindle is two straight bolts. Lower ball joint to lower control arm is a tapered stud, Upper ball joint to spindle is a tapered stud.

-
Back