Lower bearing steering box

-

aa-1159

Reaction score
Can you remover the lower bearing from power steering box on 72 Duster without removing steering box
I've removed pitman arm seal and snap ring. Can't figure out how to remove bearing

Those have 2 needle bearing assemblies on the sector shaft. Both are pressed into the housing and can only be installed once the housing is totally disassembled. Chances are if the needle bearing(S) are bad, the sector shaft is probably pitted or damaged also.

3 drawn cup needle rollers for sector

use two 12 mm depth top cover and upper sector, and go Heavy Duty with a 16mm roller down the snout of the case in the bottom.

to answer your question.

The box needs to come apart.

but this is the simplest "complex" system in your car... its a weekends work the first time about 6 hours the next....i've done a few now... Import costs US to UK is now too much to bother. cheaper to buy new for me

steering box rebuild...if i can do it anyone can, small sector manual box
Manual steering box rebuild - Mopar Muscle Association UK

advice on needle bearings as well go for the bigger one in lower position...more support

do it once do it right good for another 50 years...

if the box has been run in a car with a UJ instead of a sliding pot or rag joint column coupler expect the worm screw cages to be smashed, get some of them as well.

needle rollers x3 for sector
caged ball bearings x2 for worm screw

do not accidentally buy japanese Metric bearings with similar part numbers when looking for needle rollers... :)

sector seal
worm seal.

look up seals via part number not via car model rockauto has had them listed wrong against all mopar models in our chosen era since about 2006 they will send you a seal that would fit a cofee mug....and have you tried returning anything to them !!!!!!

michells autos / MMpar.com used to have new old stock sectors...if you need one, phoneing and asking is your best bet it won't be cheap but you will never need to buy another.

dave

Last edited:
-
Back