Lower column seal and steering joint rebuild

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
65dartcharger is a great guy. He sent me a original speed cable grommet for my Dart. The weather was nice yesterday so I thought I would slip it on. It just took a few minutes. Unscrew the speedo cable nut from the back of the speedo and pull the cable through the firewall into the engine compartment. Carefully stretch the grommet over the end of the cable and nut and reinstall. That plugged a 1" diameter hole.
I also needed a lower column seal and as long as I was there I might as well rebuild the joint. Easier said than done. Knowing what I know know, I could rebuild the joint on the car just by driving out the roll pin from the steering gear shaft and sliding the column up. The lower column seal requires that you remove the "steering shaft to shoe pin" which is no small task. I tried hammering it out and all it did was mushroom the end. I finally got out the torch and a air hammer. I don't own a press. You'll need one. I'm glad the replacement pin in the Mopar kit was a tiny bit smaller and drove back in easier than the old one came out. Also, make sure you mark the coupling body so it goes on the same way it comes off. There is a missing spline on the gearbox shaft so that the housing only goes on one way. Oh ya. I had the column in and out 3 times but I must say, after it was all done, the test drive was smooth, quiet, and no more engine heat blowing on my feet ! Wish I had snapped some photos but I was greasy handed after
rebuilding the joint twice. LOL Here's a diagram. tmm

Attachments

• Coupler.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 240
65dartcharger is a great guy. He sent me a original speed cable grommet for my Dart. The weather was nice yesterday so I thought I would slip it on. It just took a few minutes. Unscrew the speedo cable nut from the back of the speedo and pull the cable through the firewall into the engine compartment. Carefully stretch the grommet over the end of the cable and nut and reinstall. That plugged a 1" diameter hole.
I also needed a lower column seal and as long as I was there I might as well rebuild the joint. Easier said than done. Knowing what I know know, I could rebuild the joint on the car just by driving out the roll pin from the steering gear shaft and sliding the column up. The lower column seal requires that you remove the "steering shaft to shoe pin" which is no small task. I tried hammering it out and all it did was mushroom the end. I finally got out the torch and a air hammer. I don't own a press. You'll need one. I'm glad the replacement pin in the Mopar kit was a tiny bit smaller and drove back in easier than the old one came out. Also, make sure you mark the coupling body so it goes on the same way it comes off. There is a missing spline on the gearbox shaft so that the housing only goes on one way. Oh ya. I had the column in and out 3 times but I must say, after it was all done, the test drive was smooth, quiet, and no more engine heat blowing on my feet ! Wish I had snapped some photos but I was greasy handed after
rebuilding the joint twice. LOL Here's a diagram. tmm

did you get a shoe spring in your rebuild kit that fit and did you use it?
I looked at mine in the kit I got. there was no way in heck that it' would fit in the coupling without beating it to death to get it to fit. and when I took my old one apart there wasn't a shoe spring in it either? just some shims shaped to fit over the shaft. that made it space the shoes closer to the coupling.
thanks

Yep, the shoe spring I got was just like the diagram. A little squeeze with the pliers and the shoes were in the housing. The first kit didn't have any instructions. I searched here and found the diagram. The third time I pulled the column I lost a shoe and lucky I had another kit. The second kit had instructions.

hey guys, where did you get your lower column seals? I need one for my 62 Lancer. Thanks!

Ah yes, Frank Mitchell. Man that guy has a lot of stuff! I appreciate the info, that part looks great, compared to what I have left.

Where did ya'll find the rebuild kit? Mine is worn slap out and I would like to get it fixed.
Thanks Gary

-
Back