Lower control arm bushings

-

yooper822

Joe Roberts
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to cleanly remove the metal sleeve that remains after the bushing is removed with the extraction tool. I did one and ended up using an air chisel to get the sleeve out. Would rather figure out a less intrusive and cleaner way of doing it.

Any Suggestions?
joe

That's one of the best ways my friend. You could weld a washer to the outside of the bushing and bash it through, or use a slide hammer to pop it out.

I brought mine to a shop, and the old man took a torch to it, and melted my Torsion rod Key... so be careful.

I had thought of tacking a washer in, Think I'll try that on the other arm.....see how that works. If it doesnt.......Guess I'm back to the air tools.
Thanks
Joe

A friend of mine got his idea posted in Mopar Action mag.
toss a couple large washers (or some equivelant) inside, then use a chisle and hammer to fold the lip in capturing the washers.
Then flip over and use a steel rod against the washers and use a BFH to drive it out.

I have a welder so I like welding on a chunk of steel and beating on that.
Zero damage to the LCA

Well, that wasnt so bad! Welded the washer to the top lip of the bushing, made up a quick puller from spare stuff laying around and out it came!
Wish I would have done that on the other one....could have saved some pain!
Joe

l_7be4933c98a048c39d82117b61fb3a8f.jpg

l_ff24e1d202494c13b14743695b30a373.jpg

l_f284102f605340dd8153ae076763624a.jpg

l_c9eeb98f91f449a4a4e66d02edcfa165.jpg

I feel for you guys! My wife let me buy a Hobart wire feed and then had me a garage built so I could use it inside. I must have done something right! LOL Mike

dang having a boyfriend sure makes her feel guilty.lol j/k. But if mine gave me gifts like that she could keep him.

I used a pair of sockets and a hydraulic press to get mine out. I put a little penetrating oil on the small end of the sleeve and let it set while getting things organized.

On the high side, use a socket that is just a little smaller than the bushing but not push through the sleeve. On the bottom side, use a socket that is bigger than the hole the bushing sleeve set in. Make sure everything is lined up perfectly when applying pressure. If something squirts out, it's coming out hard and fast.

LOL at daredevil! I wondered about that too! But like you say, "She can keep him!" I think it might have something to do with the fact that since I retired I do all the shopping and cooking and even some of the housework! LOL It makes for lots of Brownie points! Didn't mean to jack the thread just had to brag! Mike

I got a chisel from the snap-on guy its made for removing bushes from blind holes just curls up the metal and its about 1/8" thick that does the trick for me

I got a chisel from the snap-on guy its made for removing bushes from blind holes just curls up the metal and its about 1/8" thick that does the trick for me

That sounds pretty cool!
Some of this stuff is a &*^$% to get apart without some creativity....and the price on some of these specialty tools that I'll use once or twice is retarded.
Joe

I use the welded washer idea, but I use a 12 ton press on the washer to remove the bushing.

I use the welded washer idea, but I use a 12 ton press on the washer to remove the bushing.

The puller I made worked very well. No effort really required.

the upper ball joint was another story. Broke the head off a 1/2" drive 24" breaker bar the other night. Ended up using a 1/2 drive wratchet and the handle off my high lift jack! IT didnt stand a chance...LOL
joe

I've used a saws all or hack saw, cut through th sleeve, carefull not to cut the control arm. Couple whacks with a hammer and chisel and they're out.

Also Being very, very careful you can slice them with a torch, and then knock them out. Done it both ways, quickest I know.

Do you want the absolute easiest solution? Well, here it is: Use polyurethane bushings, and leave the sleeves in place!! The polyurethane bushings come with a special grease so they don't squeak, and are lightly pressed into place. Done!!

Do you want the absolute easiest solution? Well, here it is: Use polyurethane bushings, and leave the sleeves in place!! The polyurethane bushings come with a special grease so they don't squeak, and are lightly pressed into place. Done!!

I use poly with the lube on my not so stock jeep suspension, But....I purchased the whole bushing package for the cuda so I'm going that route. In any event its ready for whatever coating I decide to ut on it before the bushings go back in.
Joe

-
Back