Lower control arm bushings

-

Robbie2734

Lambcharger
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the lower control arms and I'm at the point of choosing which bushings to use. What are the Pro's and cons of Polyurathane and rubber bushings? This is for a street car that does have a lot of suspension work. It's a 318 soon to be a mild 360 4 spd and we have a ton of hills and windy roads here! So what is the best setup???

I sugest you choose parts and have them in hand before taking it apart. Some of the aftermarket bushings dont include the inner steel shell. You would need to leave the old ones on the pins. They say poly bushings squeak.

I sugest you choose parts and have them in hand before taking it apart. Some of the aftermarket bushings dont include the inner steel shell. You would need to leave the old ones on the pins. They say poly bushings squeak.

Excellent suggestion. I've built front ends with rubber, polyurethane, and polygraphite. Never had a problem with PST's polygraphite squeaking.

FWIW: PST came with new shells on uppers, but re-used lower shell. Energy required re-use of all shells. Rubbers came with new shells all around. My DD 73 /6 Dart is all rubber, the Demon uses Energy in the front, rubber in the rear. Turn-in is less sharp on rubber front, but ride is better.

Update!

Well, the lower control arms are rebuilt. I repaired the K frame bushings and it's back together. I took it out for a drive and it's fantastic! It handles so well, it's much better then when it was new. I did use the rubber bushings and they are a PITA! I should have done this years ago.

-
Back