lower control arms &strut bars question

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Have my k-member pulled and stripped of parts, and just wondering how I tell the left from the right as far as lower control arms(for the time when I get them mixed up)and are the strut bars interchangable side to side or should I keep them on the side they came out of?
Thanks

I dont think you can get the lower arms switched. Strut rods dont matter. Torsion bars need to go back in the way they were. For what its worth, I try to mark everything. My scheme is write on the right. I use a yellow paunt pen, or a chisel and hammer, whatever it takes.

Yep, I agree. Strut rods don't matter which side they came off of...Lower control arms, there's no way you can mess that up! LOL...

If you look on the ends of your Torsion bars they will have a L or R on them, telling you switch side they come out of.

One more question, got the pivots out of the lower control arms, should the steel sleeve had stayed in the bushings, mine came out with the pivots, if so how do I remove the sleeve from the pivot? How do I replace the pivot bushing in the lower control arms?
Thanks

If you are using polyurethane bushings, then the old bushing sleeve can stay in. If you are using OE rubber then the bushing sleeve has to come out. It's a delicate process done a couple different ways. One way is to score down the inside of the bushing sleeve with a chisel, being VERY careful not to go through the wall of the sleeve and score the LCA sleeve bore. Go around it like this until you can remove the sleeve by crushing it in on itself and pulling it out with needle nose. Not the funnest way but... OR, I saw an article where they welded a washer to the rim of the sleeve and pushed it out of the LCA with a press. Just quick tacked the washer on. I think the manual suggests the chisel method mentioned above. Good luck with your project, Geof

One more question, got the pivots out of the lower control arms, should the steel sleeve had stayed in the bushings, mine came out with the pivots, if so how do I remove the sleeve from the pivot? How do I replace the pivot bushing in the lower control arms?
Thanks

I have had them come out like that. I just used a grinder and grind a line across the sleeve length wise and chisel it off. Don't get too deep and score the pivot.

I have had great luck with the welding a washer on the outside sleeve and pressing them out the lower arm. An air chisel should work to slice a line through it with a little effort you can pull them out.

-
Back