Lower Control Arms

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
Someone clear this up for me please. When doing a disk brake swap on a 71 dart, do I need to replace the entire LCA or just put in the bigger ball joint? I would think both, but I'm not sure. Thanks

Neither. It's the upper ball joint that is larger. Means you need the upper arms with larger threaded hole.

LCA is the same for all A-Bodies, except for sway bar tab. UCA will be changed if using 73-up big bolt pattern spindles, due to larger upper ball joint. Lower ball joint is the same all years for disk and 10" drums. You will need to change lower ball joints only is you are swapping disks onto a car which originally had 9" drums

NOTE: the holes in the lower ball joint are smaller than the bolts used to attach the disk brake spindle. Either get new 73+ lower ball joints or drill out the holes on the existing lower ball joints.

IMHO, if you are going to go through the trouble to do the brake swap you should replace all the ball joints and suspension bushings.

I'm with you 333. I've got new 73+ lower ball joints and upper control arm bushings. I'm going to check the lower bushings too and I hope they are ok because from what I hear they can be a pain to change.

The disc brake spindle will sit right onto the drum brake lower ball joint but... betcha you can't seperate them without distroying the boots and probably need new lower joints anyway. .875 travel in end play is the wear limit.

The disc brake spindle will sit right onto the drum brake lower ball joint but... betcha you can't seperate them without distroying the boots and probably need new lower joints anyway. .875 travel in end play is the wear limit.

You mean .0875 don't you? .875 is 7/8"

Chuck

hmmm. Sounds like a lot sitting here reading it but I think that is right. Been a while. I'll check the manual in the morn.

-
Back