lower control pivot shaft

-

RyanUpdike70

Reaction score
Hey I was wondering how does the lower control pivot shaft lower control arm come apart. where torison bar goes in. does the knuckle seperate from the lower arm . my problem is getting the sleeve out after the bushing
rubber is out it wont come out I am rebuild the front end

If you have the shaft and the rubber bushing out what I did was took a nice sharp chisel and a hammer and slice a cut down one side. Then I used the chisel to collapse the sleeve and then yank it out.

You basically have to mangle the large sleeve out of the lower control arm. Try using an air chisel and bend it inward until it slides out of the arm. This is not easy, but can be done. Be patient.

Also, installing new bushing is tough. The bushing must be pressed into the control arm first, then the crossmember pin must be pressed into the bushing without blowing the bushing out of the back side. Stabilize the inner sleeve with something that's the correct diameter of the sleeve,,,try a socket or whatever you have. You will need a press and you must lube the shaft and the sleeve heavily. This is a B**ch to do.

If you have a machine shop that you trust, save the stress.

I haven't tried it (yet) but next time I do this I will weld in a heavy washer into the sleeve and then it can be pushed out in a press.

I haven't tried it (yet) but next time I do this I will weld in a heavy washer into the sleeve and then it can be pushed out in a press.

That's what I've always done and it works like a charm everytime. It's sure a lot easier than following the FSM (chiseling the outer shell out)

I have done the chisel removal method many times and it is difficult, plus I usually end up damaging the socket that the sleeve goes into.

I worked with a mechanic who had a couple of huge pipe taps in his tool box. I dont recall what size they were but one he screwed into the bushing at oil pump drive shaft to drive that out and one he screwed into that lower arm bushing shell to drive it out.
I just destroy the think with a chisel too like everyone else.Tool scaring in the bore wont hurt a thing, just further promotes adhesion to the new bushing.

You basically have to mangle the large sleeve out of the lower control arm. Try using an air chisel and bend it inward until it slides out of the arm. This is not easy, but can be done. Be patient.

Also, installing new bushing is tough. The bushing must be pressed into the control arm first, then the crossmember pin must be pressed into the bushing without blowing the bushing out of the back side. Stabilize the inner sleeve with something that's the correct diameter of the sleeve,,,try a socket or whatever you have. You will need a press and you must lube the shaft and the sleeve heavily. This is a B**ch to do.

If you have a machine shop that you trust, save the stress.

actually, the fsm even says to install the shaft on the bushing and then that assembly into the lca. that is how i have always done it. i use a piece of pipe that is exact diameter of the lca bushing shoulder and press it in.

-
Back