Lower door patch repair

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a nice 72 demon door which unfortunately is rusted along the lower inside edge where the pinch weld is. I was thinking about cutting off the lower door panel and installing a new lower door patch panel, however, it would require that I also add some sheetmetal to the inside of the door where it actually goes into the pich weld, as this is what is rotted. Has anyboy attempted this with success or should I be looking for a good used door for the car? Thanks

My 65 Barracuda had the same problem. Por 15 was used and then painted. I have had no problem.

My 65 Barracuda had the same problem. Por 15 was used and then painted. I have had no problem.

Ya, POR 15 is great stuff. But my inner door area is rotted away right where it suppose to go into the fold of the outer skin. And then there is a 90 degree bend within a half inch or so. I was more looking for an idea on welding the inner piece back on so I would have something to put into the fold on the outer door repair panel.

It's only sheetmetal, 20 guage bends easily with basic hand tools - pliers, hammers, ect... if your talking about the corners of the inner part of the door dont be afraid to recreate the part with several different pieces of tin and welding them together.You could also find a solid door at a junkyard, maybe one thats dented that nobody wants and cut the piece you need from that. Most inner door shells have a similar shape to them.

-
Back