Lower radiator hose collapses at higher rpm

-

Cal_gecko

Citron Yella!!
Reaction score
71 Dart with a 360... finally getting it ready to get on the road... noticed recently, that when we rev the engine, the lower radiator hose collapses in on itself. when we remove the rad cap, we can see the coolant moving, so the pump is working... what would cause this?

It's probably an old hose and the support spring inside of it has collapsed or rusted away to nothing. Radiator hoses are cheap but overheated blocks are not. Time for a new one! :-D

Yes, ask for a new lower hose with a spring.. or find a lower hose from another car and pull it for yours.. I would think NAPA and most any will have a lower spring reinforced hose. Most lower return radiator hoses are tuff stuff and unlike the upper hose they are very stiff and hard.

This MAY be caused by other things besides the spring. If the radiator is too small or partially plugged, the pump can collapse the hose. I once had a friend with a 68 383 RR, and had a SPRING in the lower hose. A change of (used) heads had brought forth debri in the cooling system, which was plugging the bottom of the rad. You could wind up the engine, and the suction would PHYSICALLY MOVE the lower tank of the radiator. I thought it was gonna break the hose to tank fitting.

-
Back