Lower Rear Quarter Patch Repair

-
I can take a picture of the passenger side of my duster tomorrow.
I am in the middle of a 1/4 install and that section is still factory on mine.

Those bottom flanges should be about even. It looks clamped in "high" also looks to curl upwards towards the rear.
It becomes the inner rocker at that point .He might have needed to put it in that high to meet the floor. I'm just about ready to tag out on this deal. Aint much help anyway. Really should have put the whole 1/4 in. Have the 1/4 fit and fit subsequent inner pieces to it. Tack them in, remove the fitted quarter, solid weld inner structure being careful to not distort. (gonna happen) Weld on new 1/4.

It becomes the inner rocker at that point .He might have needed to put it in that high to meet the floor. I'm just about ready to tag out on this deal. Aint much help anyway. Really should have put the whole 1/4 in. Have the 1/4 fit and fit subsequent inner pieces to it. Tack them in, remove the fitted quarter, solid weld inner structure being careful to not distort. (gonna happen) Weld on new 1/4.
Yeah, I hear that. I usually mock up and screw everything together before I weld the first piece

Those bottom flanges should be about even. It looks clamped in "high" also looks to curl upwards towards the rear.

I'll double check this tomorrow when I have some garage time. I lined up the door with the rear quarter before I cut out the section. I also have the original body lines at the very rear of the quarter (still original metal). Currently the body lines on the new quarter line up with the original body lines. Would this be the correct way to align it on the Y axis?

I had original material for the rocker on both sides, so I am confident the patch is in the original location. The patch was also a quality donor piece.

I appreciate all your help so far, and your honesty. I agree that my next car I hope to do even better.

Yeah, I hear that. I usually mock up and screw everything together before I weld the first piece

That has been my process thus far, thank you for the reassurance.

The rocker currently is parallel to the floor (level), almost perfect. This is with both a 12" level on the rocker patch, and a 4' level across.

This is the same on the passenger side rocker also.

Does this confirm the rocker is in its correct location? I'll take some measurements tomorrow from the ground, and any other reference points I can find.

That has been my process thus far, thank you for the reassurance.
If that were true adam, your 1/4 panel would be trimmed to fit already. But carry on brother. Love your attitude. YOU WILL GETER DONE.

The rocker currently is parallel to the floor (level), almost perfect. This is with both a 12" level on the rocker patch, and a 4' level across.

Does this confirm the rocker is in its correct location? I'll take some measurements tomorrow from the ground, and any other reference points I can find.

When you discombobulate a car to the point of loosing the dimensions from both sides at the same time, you need to do a three dimensional measuring of the car referring to the factory specifications and establish a datum line. If done one side at a time you can do comparisons. When dealing with front damage we use the nonadjustable sheet-metal to base our height measurement. IE. 1/4 panels. Once you damage both !/4 panels or bend the center section, 3-D measuring is required.

BUT... if your front sheet metal is in specification you can do it backward. If everything fits nicely in the front and your door fits the fender then make the 1/4 fit the door.
It all boils down to this. If the sheet metal fits and the car suspension aligns, what else can you ask for.

That would be awesome, thank you!

Unmolested, except the outer part of the inner wheel well removed.

YzRg36.jpg

Cleco's are your friend.
Not for me, and in 30 plus years have never worked along someone that used them. It's better to screw it up tight instead of the spring loaded mess. You can't pin a quarter on with them and close the door or trunk anyway.

Not for me, and in 30 plus years have never worked along someone that used them. It's better to screw it up tight instead of the spring loaded mess. You can't pin a quarter on with them and close the door or trunk anyway.

Yes you can open and close the doors with a 1/4 cleco pins. If your doors will not open and close without the 1/4 your alignment is way off.

Feeling a lot better after today. Made a lot of progress on the fitment, only about 1/2" to make up now on the bottom of the rocker, and I see a few areas that are binding. Still have lots to do yet though before I can weld. Body lines are pretty good, same with the Z axis although hard to tell in the pics.
20180414_173609.jpg
20180414_173725.jpg
20180414_173648.jpg

Keep after it, it will go together one way or another.

Well, made the decision to go to a pro for some help as I just wasn't able to get the panel lined up the way I wanted, and given I have no experience doing this, really didn't want to mess it up. Results were amazing! Also had a skin out on the passenger rear quarter too.

The body shop only had my car for 4 weeks and was very reasonable in price. 4k for both rear quarters.

Onto the next!

74 Dart Adam McDermid — Hot Rod Factory Body Work3.jpg

74 Dart Adam McDermid — Hot Rod Factory Body Work5.jpg

74 Dart Adam McDermid — Hot Rod Factory Body Work2.jpg

20190724_143927.jpg

Snapchat-145162663.jpg

Progress is progress,
4K to hang 1/4’s is high, but it depends on location.
Around here the run around 1k to replace them, you supply the part.

-
Back