Lowering the front, but what about camber setting?...

-

F&J

Reaction score
69 Dart convertible with the normal sag in the rear. We adjusted the front bars to get the car level but the camber adjustments won't allow any more adjustment to get the camber correct.

Have you ever heard of relocating the upper A-arm mounts for the adjusters???

We like the low & level look rather than the original level-but-higher look.

Looks like we may need to move the adjuster mounts outwards about 1/2".

Just want to know if it has been done before here. Thanks

TMoog sells control arm parts that are made for cars that have been hit in the front and they allow a little more adjustment. You could also go to aftermarket upper control arms that have adjustable ends on them.

The easiest way is to get yourself another set of upper control arms and cut them in half and add the required amount to make them longer. This way if you ever put your car back to the stock height you can just bolt on a set of unmodified control arms. I do this kind of thing for the local circle track guys because they want more camber than the adjustment will allow.

Chuck

camber positive or negative? tires in or out at top? i put on some firm feel tubular uca and we had to go way low to get the camber just right.

Thanks for the input. It now makes more sense to NOT modify the mounting points.

I just didn't want to cut the upper arms....but if it holds up on circle track cars...I will give it a try. I am a good welder/fabricator.

I have my own alignment turntables & magnectic "head" that fits to the hub, but I have not checked the caster yet using those. I was just using a carpenters square while lowering the front, just to see what was happening with the camber. The top of the wheel is in about 3/8". Before I even started, the right side adjusters were already all the way out, so I figure I need to move about 1/2" to get the camber correct. The left was not all the way out, but there is still not enough left to bring it back out.

I looked up those tubular arms but they are a little pricey for me right now. I can always switch to those later as money permits.

The upper control are takes a lot less load than the lower control arm does this is why I modify the upper. The lower arm takes the weight of the car while the top only really takes the loads from cornering and driving. Basically it just takes the loads of locating the top of the spindle.

Chuck

-
Back