LT1 T56 Transmission to LA 360 swap

-

Cowet

Reaction score
I came across a LT1 T56 Transmission from a 96 firebird and it seems like the conversion is more than it's worth. He's asking 800 for it including clutch hydraulic assembly.
I read the input shaft is only 7.25" long and there isn't any bellhousing adaptors. Could the front mid plate and input shaft be swapped? Or is there more necessary to be done?

That is for an LS1 T56. I think the LT1 version is different? Quick Draw makes an LS1 T56 bellhousing for small block Mopar, but says it's only good for '98-'02 versions of the transmission. I'd guess the Quick Time model is similar.

Quick Draw Brand Mopar to T56 Bellhousing

I appreciate the input. It looks like it will cost me approx 500 in parts to convert it back to an LS type t56. Out of curiosity, why do people look for viper t56 and Challenger tr6060s over LS Camaro t56s? Other than being stronger, they don't seem to make the swap any easier since the bellhousings can't be used unless I'm mistaken.

Considering it will cost me $2000+ not including clutch/flywheel for all the parts to make the swap It doesn't seem worth it unless Im missing something.

Last edited:
Right, you're much better off at that point just paying the extra money for a brand new T56 Magnum from Tremec.

I cover pretty much everything here. I did convert the throwout bearing to a 98-02 Camaro piece with a spacer after the first year due to noise and dragging issues.

T56 Magnum Conversion

I came across a LT1 T56 Transmission from a 96 firebird and it seems like the conversion is more than it's worth. He's asking 800 for it including clutch hydraulic assembly.
I read the input shaft is only 7.25" long and there isn't any bellhousing adaptors. Could the front mid plate and input shaft be swapped? Or is there more necessary to be done?

First, you need to confirm which LT1 t56 you have. I've got the start of a decent write up going over here that'll explain it. Riddler76 also has a good write up as well.

T56 Conversion

And yes, I HIGHLY recommend swapping the input and midplate with the kit from RS Gear. This will open up your bellhousing options a TON.

That is for an LS1 version, it will NOT fit the LT1. Been there, done that.

That is for an LS1 T56. I think the LT1 version is different? Quick Draw makes an LS1 T56 bellhousing for small block Mopar, but says it's only good for '98-'02 versions of the transmission. I'd guess the Quick Time model is similar.

Quick Draw Brand Mopar to T56 Bellhousing
No one stocks an LT1 to Mopar Bell. Simply because the input shaft and midplate deal. It can be converted.

I appreciate the input. It looks like it will cost me approx 500 in parts to convert it back to an LS type t56. Out of curiosity, why do people look for viper t56 and Challenger tr6060s over LS Camaro t56s? Other than being stronger, they don't seem to make the swap any easier since the bellhousings can't be used unless I'm mistaken.

Considering it will cost me $2000+ not including clutch/flywheel for all the parts to make the swap It doesn't seem worth it unless Im missing something.

The reason people look for the TR6060 and the Viper t56 is mostly due to factory installed strength. Compared to the LS Camaro T56s, the TR6060 and the Viper T56 have beefed up internals. Things like Steel shift forks vs the Camara T56's aluminum ones. the Main shafts in the Viper T56 and the TR6060 are larger, more splines which equates to more strength. The TR6060 and the Viper T56 also have redesigned midplates that assist with cooling of the transmission. They also have titanium and steel shift pads vs aluminum/bronze. the gear keyways are a billet steel vs cast. Now, you can upgrade a LT1 to those levels, and depending on the price you found the LT1 at, you may or may not be money ahead to sell it and find a TR6060. For me, even after the conversion I did and the cost of the Quick Time Bell housing, I'm still under what a TR6060 can be found here for. Around here, I can't find one short of 2500 bucks. I looked for 3 years. As it sits now, the cost of the LT1 t56, and after the conversion and the bellhousing, plus a rebuild kit (didn't need too but figured since it was apart, may as well), I'm sitting at just shy of 1700 bucks. I'm not including the Clutch/flywheel cost in that comparison simply because its a wash.

the T56s no matter what model, run HOT. and short of adding cooling pumps, there's not a real genius way to cool them down. The heat is what causes MOST non driver caused issues with the T56. You can get around this with running high quality, synthetic fluid. And do not overfill. People think the extra 1/2 quart or so will help, but it actually affects the fluid flow within the T56, often making it run hotter.

I bought the Mopar small block to GM T56 Magnum aluminum bellhousing from Silver Sport Transmissions for $441 shipped. The QuickTime is $650-$700 give or take a few. They say it will work for the Gen 3 Hemi too. It's about 6.75 +/- a few inches
depth from trans mounting face to front of bellhousing. It's going in my '71 Duster. It has a LA small block now but I have a gen 3 Hemi I plan to drop in later. You will probably spend less money just getting the T56 Magnum instead of making the OEM, GM T56 work. Just my opinion.

I bought the Mopar small block to GM T56 Magnum aluminum bellhousing from Silver Sport Transmissions for $441 shipped. The QuickTime is $650-$700 give or take a few. They say it will work for the Gen 3 Hemi too. It's about 6.75 +/- a few inches
depth from trans mounting face to front of bellhousing. It's going in my '71 Duster. It has a LA small block now but I have a gen 3 Hemi I plan to drop in later. You will probably spend less money just getting the T56 Magnum instead of making the OEM, GM T56 work. Just my opinion.
Still have the same issue though, Silver Sport only fits the 98+ LS 1 T56

I was told the T56 Magnum doesn't need the midplate. Wondering if you could remove it to mount to the SST bellhousing. Just thinking out loud.

I was told the T56 Magnum doesn't need the midplate. Wondering if you could remove it to mount to the SST bellhousing. Just thinking out loud.
The T56 Magnumn IS different than the T56 that was in the LT1 one and LS 1 cars.

I found this for 42
Screenshot_20200107-233227_Google.jpg

won’t work. That bellhousing is designed to adapt to a T56 Magnum to a Mopar small block. The T56 magnum has a different mid plate than the LT1 version T56s that we are discussing here. That would work on 98 and newer T56 Magnums and the Viper T56. But not for the LT1 model T56. I’d already called them before. Again, no one currently is making an adapter plate to go from a Mopar to a LT1 T56. The ones that adapt Mopars to T56s are all for the later model, 98 and newer T56 LS1 and T56 Magnum transmission. The bolt patterns are completely different between those and the LT1 and the input shaft lengths are different.

Just an FYI the midplate bolt pattern for most t56’s are the same give or take a bolt hole.
I was under the same impression as you guys with lt1 vs others but after having that mid plate, the cobra midplate and tr6060/magnum midplates they all seem to be loosely the same minus the area where either a clutch fork goes through or a clutch line goes through.

If your application is aiming for some crazy output number then that extra bolt would make sense, but otherwise its probably not critical.

input shafts should all be interchangeable so long as you’re working with the same first gear (t56 wise, not magnum/6060 as typically those internals are different)

I’ll have a mopar 6060 bellhousing soon to mount to an LT1 t56 (I’ve picked up a few over the years for various projects, I have one currently behind my 455 in my trans am)
I want to resurrect this 340 and use it in my old triumph.

Just an FYI the midplate bolt pattern for most t56’s are the same give or take a bolt hole.

I’m not sure how. While yes, there were some holes that lined, there were two or three on mine that were way off.

the other thing that is ABSOLUTELY critical, more so than the bolt pattern is the input shaft length. The lengths on those vary from LT1 to LS1 and across the other t56/tr6060 platforms(IE Ford, chevy, Dodge). Your input shaft length must be correct to make up thru the clutch and to the engine. Too short, you won’t be in the pilot bearing, too ling and you’ll never get it to mate up to the engine.

upload_2021-12-10_12-40-57.png

LS input shaft on the left, LT1 on the right. Bearing retainer on these is also varying lengths

Yeah, I should have clarified but that’s why I mentioned if first gear was the same because if they are you can mix and match the input to get the desired length so an LS1 input in an LT1 trans (so long as it’s not the two early ones with different gearsets)
the cobra input is short, the lt1 input is short too but longer than the cobra, the ls is longer yet and the viper is longer yet.
I’ve never seen an Aston Martin trans so I can’t speak to that and I’m hoping for measurements from the Dodge Challenger tr6060 soon

I’m converting my c6 vette t56 to work in my 99 f150, had I not had a cobra midplate id be using an lt1 midplate.

I’m converting a camaro tr6060 to be used in my 71 cutlass behind an Oldsmobile.

Yeah, I should have clarified but that’s why I mentioned if first gear was the same because if they are you can mix and match the input to get the desired length so an LS1 input in an LT1 trans (so long as it’s not the two early ones with different gearsets)
the cobra input is short, the lt1 input is short too but longer than the cobra, the ls is longer yet and the viper is longer yet.
I’ve never seen an Aston Martin trans so I can’t speak to that and I’m hoping for measurements from the Dodge Challenger tr6060 soon

I’m converting my c6 vette t56 to work in my 99 f150, had I not had a cobra midplate id be using an lt1 midplate.

I’m converting a camaro tr6060 to be used in my 71 cutlass behind an Oldsmobile.
You cannot mix and match just the input shafts. The bearings on the midplate that the input shafts ride on are different sizes. They’re very close visually, but the LT1 shaft is about an 1/8 inch thinner in diameter than an LS. The LS bearing is also a bit thicker than the LT1. Even though both are 31 tooth gears. You have to match the input to the midplate. you cannot put the LS input in the LT1 midplate. And you cannot put the LT input in the LS midplate. Not and have the bearings be correct or with issues with the bearing retainers as well as the play on the shaft. You’re gonna do more damage trying to hodge podge it.

Yes, you can convert an LT1 t56 to have an LS1 input shaft or even a viper input(assuming you also upgrade the counter shaft and main shaft) but you have to use the corresponding midplate . Unless you do some custom matching

Furthermore you have to make darn sure the LT1 t56 is a 31 tooth t56. Some, mostly 1993s and early 1994s were 29 tooth and youd have swap the entire gear set to swap it. As well as the main and counter shafts. And that’s expensively done.

You also have to watch the spline counts between some of the Fords. Most shared the 26 spline inputs but some, especially those in gt500s in certain years contained a 27 spline, 31 tooth input.
Corvette t56 t56s are an entirely different animal with their built in transaxle and stupidly long out put.

I am doing a challenger tr6060 to an ls t56 magnum.

Here are those input shaft differences
Left is the LS input. Right is the one year 2011 challenger.

the magnum/tr6060 gears are wider and will NOT work in the older t56's

I was also informed that the challenger midplate is at least 3/8 of an inch thicker than the ls midplate input
20211210_095411.jpg

I am doing a challenger tr6060 to an ls t56 magnum.

Here are those input shaft differences
Left is the LS input. Right is the one year 2011 challenger.

the magnum/tr6060 gears are wider and will NOT work in the older t56's

I was also informed that the challenger midplate is at least 3/8 of an inch thicker than the ls midplate inputView attachment 1715834504
Curious, on the TR6060, is the input gear tooth count still 31, or did they change it finally?

-
Back