M body caliper rebuild question

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I have a 1984 M body brake setup for my sons car that i am collecting the parts up to rebuild. Heres the question. I am rebuilding the calipers. Or at least getting the parts together to do this. Calipers currently have soft dust boots are installed. Do i have to use soft dust boots when i rebuild them? Or can i use the alternate hard boots? Does it matter which? Is the caliper and piston machined specifically for one or the other?

Last edited:
Yes replace the dust boots, stay with soft, they are more flexible. No the pistons and calipers are not matched.

Good luck!

I have a 1984 M body brake setup for my sons car that i am collecting the parts up to rebuild. Heres the question. I am rebuilding the calipers. Or at least getting the parts together to do this. Calipers currently have soft dust boots are installed. Do i have to use soft dust boots when i rebuild them? Or can i use the alternate hard boots? Does it matter which? Is the caliper and piston machined specifically for one or the other?
Calipers are made in different versions in particular years,so the caliper bore and piston size may be the same but the style of boot different and so the rebuild kits may have the other option included. Also back then they usually used the phenol resin("plastic") piston as opposed to the steel piston. The phenol ones would wear and sometimes stick in the bore overheating the pads in the process.Steel pistons are better in my opinion,but only if the car doesn"t sit around a lot we used to rebuild a lot of those back in the day......................

It has phenolic pistons now. I was unsure weather or not to stay with these or go with steel replacement ones.

I have steel pistons in my cart. I also have wagner boot n seal kits in my cart it doesnt state hard or soft boot. My 79 cordoba calipers have a hard boot and steel pistons. It will prob be ok.

-
Back