M-Body Steering Boxes?

-

archlab

Reaction score
ANybody tried this Swap? I looked up some specs & it seems that the A & M-Body Boxes are almost identical in appearance & specs.

From another Webpage (http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php/topic,244.0.html), it is mentioned that the M-Body Pwr Steering Box has a 16:1 Ratio - Same as that pricey-axxed Firm Feel Manual Box, but for a fraction of the cost (NAPA = $172 + Core - gonna chk RockAuto next).

The only difference that I see is the Output shaft diam is 1/8" bigger on the M-Bod. Maybe this can be overcome by using the M-Body Steering Arm?

So, I once again ask you, the knowledgable ones: Have you made this work?

OR, have you used a box from another model (like a Cordoba, etc) with similar specs & results?

I have an M body box in my Duster. Everything is hooked up and seemed to fit just fine. The car isn't on the road yet though.
C

That's encouraging.
Also, RockAuto has Pwr Steering Boxes for as low as $72.79 (+ $50 core).

I have an M body box in my Duster. Everything is hooked up and seemed to fit just fine. The car isn't on the road yet though.
C

Hey Clhyer,
from what little info I could garner, the M-Body Box (which might also be a C-Body Box, as well) has a larger output shaft than the 1968 A-Body Box. Did you happen to notice any size diff? If, as you say, all boted up fine, then I will likely go the way of the M-Box.

I put a cop car box out of a Dippy into my 72 Demon (which has a '75 front end under it). The arm out of the steering box is different, going into the center link from the top where the Demon's original arm came in at the bottom. The steering arm that I got with the '75 front end, worked on the box.

If you can find a cop car box, I recommend it. It is power steering that is fast and assisted without being overly assisted. How to find when looking through a Pik 'n Pull? Look for the PS cooler.

Hey 2Darts,
I did a little research & found that the mid-80s Fifth Ave (& I suppose Fury/Diplomat as well) have that ratio that you used from the Cop Car. Funny what you find when one doesn't wanna spend $500-$600 on a 'well-marketed Steering Box'.

From the looks of it, my challenge might be finding the Steering arm.

I agree.

One of the things that I think that Mopar did right was to share components across platforms. The practice saved Mopar money at the time and upped the numbers available to us today. It makes restoring/resurrecting these things a lot more practical.

Hey 2Darts,
I did a little research & found that the mid-80s Fifth Ave (& I suppose Fury/Diplomat as well) have that ratio that you used from the Cop Car. Funny what you find when one doesn't wanna spend $500-$600 on a 'well-marketed Steering Box'.

ALL power steering boxes in mopar passenger cars have 16:1 ratio.

So you original 68 power steering box has the same ratio at the M-body box.

The M-body box is going to be the same reman. part number as a F-body, J-body, 73-76 A-body, 73-74 E-body, 73-79 B-body, etc etc.

As said eariler, the later 73 and up power steering boxes have a larger output shaft diameter. So you will need to covert to a 73-76 A-body pitman, center link, AND idler arm.

ALL power steering boxes in mopar passenger cars have 16:1 ratio.

So you original 68 power steering box has the same ratio at the M-body box.

The M-body box is going to be the same reman. part number as a F-body, J-body, 73-76 A-body, 73-74 E-body, 73-79 B-body, etc etc.

As said eariler, the later 73 and up power steering boxes have a larger output shaft diameter. So you will need to covert to a 73-76 A-body pitman, center link, AND idler arm.

Well alrighty then! that's even better to know (16:1 for all Pwr Steering...I shoulda axxed that first). Basically, that means that I can just buy the 1968 Reman'd unit. As RockAuto also has these for I think the same price, I can buy that & not have to concern myself w/ the output shaft diameters.

I guess I should always remember to start from Step #1.

Any thoughts on which is the better Co. to go with when it comes to Remanufacture? RockAuto has these listed: Lares, Cardone, ATsco, AC-Delco(?).

Thanks!

...please say either Lares ($79) or Cardone ($87 or so).

i bought a cheap one from advance and it seems to work fine. i searched for days to see if anyone offers a police box reman other than firm feel and steer n gear, with no luck. i didnt want to wait the 4-6 weeks both of them told me. in my car, big block duster, either the engine or the k frame has to come out to change the box, i wasnt putting a 20 or 30 year old box back in, police or not.
autox is right, when you look at applications, there are only 2 boxes offered, small sector and large, no firm feel. i think there is a pitman arm available to use the large sector box with the early steering setup though, if you did need to do that.
you can shim the valve in the later saginaw ps pump if you have one of them or want to put one on. its cheap and easy and it makes the std box feel a little more tollerable.

Back in the day when I was a counterman at a Dodge dealership (early 80's) I compared the parts breakdown of a standard P/S box and the police unit. At that time all standard units available through the dealers were Reman and the police units were available new only. The only difference I could find in the internal parts were the reaction springs, 2 flat circular plates about 3" in diameter with a large hole in the center. Armed with that knowledge, I proceeded to order the springs along with an overhaul kit. I disassembled the box out of my 71 Demon 340 and compared the reaction springs. They were identical thickness and material and the only discernible difference was that the cop car springs had an additional hole about 1/8" in diameter near the outer edge. After rebuilding and reinstalling the box, It did have a firmer feel than the original.
BTW, I hope never again to rebuild a P/S box, what a PITA!

-
Back