M code barracuda

-

69moredoor

Reaction score
Went to the savoy auto museum just north of Atlanta. What an awesome place..

7C8D894B-AE0F-4D0A-A5F7-62EA87E2568F.jpeg

2185A6B7-915D-4AC1-ADD4-0D9801ED9086.jpeg

F699E8E2-6620-47C4-A41D-3B19A6BD0150.jpeg

96E7AA51-B016-46B9-A64B-73965396238F.jpeg

Those are neat cars. That one looks great is all it green-ness And all the guys that don’t like green or copper colored cars. All we can do is laugh at that.

Thanks for posting!

I gotta get my butt over there. I have two tickets laying on the table (for about 6 months) and I live 20 miles from the place, lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong....but.....I thought all cars starting in 1969 were mandated to having headrests?????

Damn nice lookin car though...... :thumbsup:

Correct me if I'm wrong....but.....I thought all cars starting in 1969 were mandated to having headrests?????

Beginning with cars built on January 1st. I had an early build '69 Super Bee coupe without headrests.

Yup! But only on cars manufactured after January 1st. If this car had a late 1968 build, I'm guessing they were optional.

I had to go back into my record. My M-code cuda was built on December 1st 1968 and my car and the green car were built in the first group of cars. At that time headrests were an option. My car by the way had headrests.

13DABF2D-0F88-4CD3-824D-9404AA8ACD9B.jpeg

Don't know why, but I always thought of an M-code as a fastback. Eye opener!
Man, the Notched backs are WAY Sexier! But you may be right, it seems like most of the M codes I've seen (not that I'm an authority on them) have been Fastbacks..

Man, the Notched backs are WAY Sexier! But you may be right, it seems like most of the M codes I've seen (not that I'm an authority on them) have been Fastbacks..
I would have to look back into my records but I believe that the first cars built were Notchbacks.

I would have to look back into my records but I believe that the first cars built were Notchbacks.
Thank You, that's great to know! I've never had a shot at an M code, but I came close to snatchin' up an H code 4 spd car a few years ago. The price was right!

I believe that is BB-Dave old car

View attachment 1716063921
Those cars were before my time but I can only imagine the fun you could have with traction issues with the bias ply tires them bad boys had, especially with a 4 Speed! If that wasn't a total burnout machine I don't know what would be! Whe. I had my 68 Coronet, built 383 Magnum 4 spd car, I swapped in a set of 4:56 gears from my 3:55s, bought a mint condition running four-door for $300 in change, that's where the tires came from. Drop the exhaust on my car and rode around the streets of Tampa for a week..... them tires didn't last long at all and believe it or not I actually swapped the 355s back in after I burned off the tires and put exhaust on it....

Last edited:
Since they were before your time......
The M code Darts and Barracudas were all 727 cars. Four speeds were not available. Probably because a Dana 60 wasnt available narrow enough for an a body.

Since they were before your time......
The M code Darts and Barracudas were all 727 cars. Four speeds were not available. Probably because a Dana 60 wasnt available narrow enough for an a body.
No the one I had a shot at was an H code it was a 383 car, but that's an awesome tidbit of information to know! Four-speed 440 ? Heck the only thing better would be a super stock car or somehow they managed to slip a six pack in one of them things!

No the one I had a shot at was an H code it was a 383 car, but that's an awesome tidbit of information to know! Four-speed 440 ? Heck the only thing better would be a super stock car or somehow they managed to slip a six pack in one of them things!
I am NOT an authority on the s/s hemi a bodies, but I think they used b-body Dana's with special backspace wheels, to account for the extra width.
But there were only a few hundred ss cars built. I'm guessing the didn't want to bother doing that for a mere 440 a body, so the 4sp simply was not available.

The agreed on number of coupe's (notchbacks) is 36, but we will never know for sure. The blue one I had is now restored but he hit a deer with it last year...

I am NOT an authority on the s/s hemi a bodies, but I think they used b-body Dana's with special backspace wheels, to account for the extra width.
But there were only a few hundred ss cars built. I'm guessing the didn't want to bother doing that for a mere 440 a body, so the 4sp simply was not available.
Well since that wasn't a body in white, special order race car if you imagine the warranty issues if they would have stuck a 4-speed in those bad boys? Brutal! Now I've talked to a couple people that actually own original numbers matching ones, what I can't figure out is where the 383s and 440 cars, (H and M) built to Magnum specs Factory?

The agreed on number of coupe's (notchbacks) is 36, but we will never know for sure. The blue one I had is now restored but he hit a deer with it last year...
Aww Man, that sucks! I hope the driver/ passengers are OK and the Mopar is repairable!

-
Back