M/F-ing distributor bolt!

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
Who thought this design was a good idea?!?! I've had it! :banghead: Fire up the torch! I'm making a distributor wrench...

I have no sympathy for people who have "drama" over such a simple solution.

1--Choice no1--Actually buy a distributor wrench, which were made before I was born, and one which I've owned since about 1968. KD Tools no 104:

These wrenches have a 1/2" box on one end, a 9/16 on the other, and a double 3/8" square drive coupler in the middle. What this means is that if you need extra leverage you can stuff your extension and ratchet in place of the top half.

http://www.autotoolworld.com/product.asp?itemid=146251&gclid=CJ6Ovs2morYCFSxyQgodcW8ASA

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/KDT0/104/N0717.oap?ck=Search_N0717_-1_-1&pt=N0717&ppt=C0374

N0717.oap

KD-104__1.jpg

2---Cut, bend, weld, etc any 1/2 wrench to suit. Back in the days of working on friends cars, headers, etc, I've done a lot of this. You can bend a typical combo wrench, example, by using nothing more than a vise and a propane torch.

wrench looks nice, but I don't have one....but I DO have wrenches, torches and a vise, so I think I'll just make one

I haven't touched my dizzy bolts in years, but I remember the slant using a 7/16" instead of the more common 1/2. I also never needed a special wrench just always shoved my arm down there and gave it a turn. I would like to point out in case you are not aware the slant dizzy has two bolts, 1 on the block and 1 on the underside of the dizzy. They must both be tight are or it will move, but both are slotted and you only need to loosen one to turn the dizzy.

I haven't touched my dizzy bolts in years, but I remember the slant using a 7/16" instead of the more common 1/2. I also never needed a special wrench just always shoved my arm down there and gave it a turn. I would like to point out in case you are not aware the slant dizzy has two bolts, 1 on the block and 1 on the underside of the dizzy. They must both be tight are or it will move, but both are slotted and you only need to loosen one to turn the dizzy.
Mine is 7/16", and it's the upside down one that's aggrivating me

I fixed that problem. my dizzy is in the front.
:D good one :D
I have never had a problem getting to mine :coffee2: 1/4 ratchet, 6'' wobble extension :D, even dun it with a few wobbly pop's in me :glasses7:

Modified a 7/16" combo wrench and all is right with the world. turns out the true culprit is the clearance between the head of the bolt and whatever is directly under it. Ground the box end down about 50% of it's original thickness and the job went from 'impossible' to 'annoying' which is a heluva improvement

I always carried mine in my '71 Super Bee - when the switch on the clutch pedal that kept you from starting the car in gear was acting up, I could wrap an oil rag on the handle of the distributor wrench and use it to jump across the starter solenoid to start the car

(yeah, I know...I could've just gotten another switch but hey, I was 19 and this was cooler ;-))

Got rid of my 340 back in 76. That was it for muscle cars until two years ago. What a surprise to find in my toolbox that 36 years later I still had my simple bent wrench for adjusting the distributor.

The main bolt uses a 7/16 socket with a straight extension. No offset wrench necessary.
The bottom bolt needs to be adjusted one time. It's easier to just take the distributor out.
I can have my distributor in and out in less than a minute.

-
Back