Ma Mopar's 5 speed OD

-

gtsport

Reaction score
have spotted a 5 speed OD trans behind a V6 in a van. worth anything? will it hold under normal driving behind a mild 340 (is there such a thing as mild?)?
bigger question, will it fit under a 67-69 A body floor pan? as in size around, length, shifter position? call me a dreamer, but I want it all!!

Are you talking a manual or automatic trans? If it's the auto trans. (545RFE) it is huge and you'd have to make some serious mods to the trans. tunnel to get it in and run a computer as it is completely computer controlled. If it's the manual trans. they aren't very strong.

didn't even think about the automatic when I wrote the question and I have one in my 03 Durango 2 wheel drive. isn't that a Benz derived piece? anyhow I was speaking about the manual, hoped for OD, guess I'll stick to my A833 and 3.23s. how about the version of the 833 that is 3+OD? any stronger? want a mild build on my 340, and 3.55 or 3.91 gears, but highway manners. I do appreciate the knowledge on the MANUAL (whew got it that time) 5 speed not being too strong.

Have you considered the T5? It can be a bit if an undertaking to get in, but it is much stronger than the manuals behind the V6s...
:burnout:

j

yes, I had considered a T5. my reasons for asking about the manual Chrysler 5 speed came from several angles though. cost- I know where to find one cheap; being all MoPar made me think that no adapters would be needed since the V6 was a derivative of the 318, I suspected that that the bell housings are the same; and they came behind 318s in Dakotas, albeit they were way tamed down engines, I just hoped they might be strong enough for street use. I do understand though that "dollars cheap" goes out the window when things break, sometimes even free is not a good deal.

Actually the 5.2L magnum v8 in pickups makes more HP than a 340 4bbl motor. You have to remember that the 5.2's 230 HP is net while the 340's 275 was gross.

Anyway, the 5spd manual behind a V6 was not the same transmission as the 5spd behind a 5.2 or 5.9. The V6 isn't nearly as strong as the v8 tranny's.

I have a A833OD behind a ~ 370 HP 360 that is driven agressively and has about 40k miles on it behind the 360.

NOTE: Everyone talks about the T5 not being a very strong tranny but I ran into a guy a few weeks back at our clubs cruise night that had a 70 Mustang Pro Street that runs low 10's in the quarter, 472 big block. He had blown up the top loader he had been running in it and swapped in the T5 he had until he had the funds for a new tranny. So far he has made about 50 1/4 mile runs on the T5 and it was holding up. Even he was amazed that it was taking the abuse.

-
Back