MA5 Conversion

-

wheelman21

Mopar noob
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've done a bunch of searching and can't find a straight answer on this. I have a mildly built 340 with a 727 behind it. I'm looking to put a 5 speed in it. Right now my top candidate is the MA5 from the Colorado etc. Has anyone put one behind a small block? I'm kind of in a hurry to gather info as I have a line on one right now that is pretty cheap. I don't mind modifying the cross-member. Just wondering about the shifter location as well as the input shaft length. Anyone have any experience?? Thanks in advance guys.

I don't have any info, but they are only rated at like 351 pound feet. That would not be hard to surpass with a mild 340. Good luck.

There's a lot of people bolting them up to LS swaps, so I'm not too concerned about breaking it. My biggest concern is the shifter location and the input shaft length.

I own a 2004 Colorado with the 3.5 I5 and that MA5 (Aisin AR-5 transmission), and I have owned it for 8+ years and about 90k miles. I would not put it behind a small block in one of these cars for several reasons.

1) the first gear is much too low. 3.75:1 and you'll never hook up with this unless you have gears in the 2's
2) 2-3 gear split is huge 2.26 ->1.37
3) High shift effort for 4th gear

I'd say the shifter is probably too far back on the trans as well from judgement. I've never had a reliability issue with it in the factory app, but the A-833 shifts a lot better at higher RPMs than that does.

I'd go A-833, T56, TR-6060 or Passon A-855 or nothing else really.

So the ratios are; 3.75-2.26-1.37-1.00-.73....and % splits are then; 60-61-.73-.73 Yeah those are pretty wide splits.
Thats marginally better than the A-833-O/D, which only has 4 gears.Its splits are 54-60-73. I didnt like that box until I put a GV behind it. 7 useable gears!

If you search the net for LS swaps, people by and large are recommending against the swap, OR they are saying to beef up the transmission. That's why I posted the response that I did. If you think it will hold up, go ahead and do it. Keep us posted.

Well I didn't go with the MA5 mainly because of the input shaft length and having to piece together all kinds of different things. So what I went with was the ax15. Same case and very similar ratios. I was told by the people at advance adapters that they will hold up. I know the ratios aren't ideal but for a street car, and someone who doesn't have 6k for a tremek, it's going to have to work. I'm sure it will still be more fun than a 3 speed power sucking 727. I'll keep you guys updated and include some pictures. Right now the car is filling my grandfathers parking space at my grandmothers, and my car trailer is completely buried in snow. So it will be a bit before I get to get going.

What kinda power are you making? Anything a World Class T5 cannot handle? Those things can be had on the cheap.

I went with the ax15 for two reasons. I'm told its stronger and it more readily available. The mustang guys eat up the T5s where I'm at like crazy.

-
Back