Maaco Budge Paint

-

74swingrrr

Reaction score
I am looking to get my 74 Swinger painted. It needs a little body work as there is a little rust, but there isn't any rot. I would really like to get it painted soon and definitely don't have the $2500 i was quoted for the job. What is so bad about Maaco? If it was only a temporary paint job, would I be doing any unrepairable damage? And if I was to go to Maaco on a budget and get my car painted, what is the best paint and body work package they have? Thanks!

from what I've heard maaco buys there paint at wholesale in big drums, so they don't have as much variety.

If i was you i would just wait and take your time on it. Rushing is not the best thing to do

thanks

A few years back I read an article in a VW magazine where they had a VW bus they wanted painted. They said they had heard of this place called MAACO (I thought EVERYBODY had heard of them) and they went & talked with the manager. The manager asked them if they were looking for a "Show Quality" paint job or "just something nice to drive around with" & that was what they decided on. They brought the bus in as a completly stripped shell & had it painted inside & out with the outside being two tone. I don't recall them having any real body work done, maybe just a few small dents & dings were fixed. IIRC, it cost around $1600 to $1800 & they were very happy with the results. This was in California & was probably at least 8 years ago.

I am looking to get my 74 Swinger painted. It needs a little body work as there is a little rust, but there isn't any rot. I would really like to get it painted soon and definitely don't have the $2500 i was quoted for the job. What is so bad about Maaco? If it was only a temporary paint job, would I be doing any unrepairable damage? And if I was to go to Maaco on a budget and get my car painted, what is the best paint and body work package they have? Thanks!

I think with Maaco it really depends on the place, it is a chain but I am sure all are different. I had a car painted there and there were runs in the paint, they supposedly fixed rust, the clear coat is now peeling, and they drained my battery at least three times because they supposedly couldn't start my car so I would not recommend that Maaco, but the one by you may do a better job. I'd see if they would show you jobs they have done and not recent ones. I wish I would have waited and got a better job as I wouldn't be saving for a new one now, but I had an idiot cousin back into the front fender and I wanted that fixed.

Problem with Maaco is the quality of materials and prep they do....or lack of. Overspray in the wheel wells and on the exhaust etc......at least this was my experience with them (Dad has had a couple vehicles done by them).

You can do a better job in a garage booth if you take your time w/ prep and use good materials.........

Thanks for your insight guys. I just read a few reviews of my local Maaco and apparently the owner of the franchise is a real dirt bag. A guy up the street from me has a paint booth and I just read the CarCraft article about painting your car for a grand. I think I could save myself a lot of time and money and learn something in the process. Thanks again everyone!

I don't know of anyone that has gotten a resonable paint job from MAACO for the $299 price that is always quoted on TV. For that price they might mask off the windows and wash the car and on goes the paint. But anything else and it's an hourly rate and the prices go up in a hurry.

I do have a friend that used to do cars for people and all his paint jobs were done at MAACO but he did all the prep, priming, block sanding and basically just used MAACO and there paint booth to apply the color. Those vehicles all looked good.

They hire people to do sanding and masking that have zero experience (burger flippers). One bodywork man and one shooter per store.
Their nitche is turn around time. Toss a fender on a late model for much less than the cost of repairing damage. In and out in a day or two.
They can do quality work however if you're willing to leave the car there a year. That will cost you about as much as anywhere else.
There was a place near me called Peach Auto Painting (may still be open, dunno). Their slogan was "Peach of a paint job."
The 93 Lebarron convertible I bought was totalled by an insurance company and had a salvage title. I did all the work myself . Even pulled the brake light fixtures in their parking lot. Paid them just under 300 to minor masking and shoot it.
The trash in the paint (pecker hairs, etc..) defined their solgan .Fussy like a peach. I got what I paid for. The car looked much better since the primered places resembled a cows coat before. I still see that car once in a while and it still looks decent from 100 feet.

save your money. at least try miracle. the one out here in pleasanton has done 3 customers cars and they look nice. they were up there in price, but once again as a chain, you have to check out the individual franchise.

Thanks for your insight guys. I just read a few reviews of my local Maaco and apparently the owner of the franchise is a real dirt bag. A guy up the street from me has a paint booth and I just read the CarCraft article about painting your car for a grand. I think I could save myself a lot of time and money and learn something in the process. Thanks again everyone!

Just be ready to work! Anyone can paint or bondo. It's just time in to learn it. And bodywork,prep and painting is labour intensive if you want it done right!

I had an instructor that had his truck painted a nice brown. After a year the paint started peeling, took it back because of the guarentee. They couldn't match it because they took left over paint from the day to mix it.

-
Back