Maaco Paint job---Fort Worth

-
does look great
too bad they forgot to tape off the bumpers though :(

Looks great. I agree prep and bodywork is at least 90% of the whole job underneath the paint. What makes yours even more awesome is the fact that its sprayed black. Dark colors are the hardest colors to do on a bodyworked car as dark colors dont hide bodywork flaws, rather they highlite any flaw underneath the paint whereas a light color will tend to hide defects in bodywork.

You my friend pulled it of very well. Kudos to you. Arrow straight bodywork and black paint comes from hours and hours of block sanding hi build primer, tons of guide coat, and in general double and triple checking for its straightness. You put a lot of hours in underneath that 2 mils or so of paint thickness. Yes a painter can paint anything, but their paint job is only as good as the bodywork underneath.

This is coming from a seasoned professional...... Job well done!!!. You should be very proud.
We used to do that with the local Earl Scheib when I was in school. We'd do sometimes 4 cars a month. We did all the body and prep work and took them down to Earl Scheib and they sprayed them for $99.95, but it had to be one of their colors. As long as the prep and body work was good, they turned out nice. Yours looks great.
Thanks Rob:)

Looks great. I agree prep and bodywork is at least 90% of the whole job underneath the paint. What makes yours even more awesome is the fact that its sprayed black. Dark colors are the hardest colors to do on a bodyworked car as dark colors dont hide bodywork flaws, rather they highlite any flaw underneath the paint whereas a light color will tend to hide defects in bodywork.

You my friend pulled it of very well. Kudos to you. Arrow straight bodywork and black paint comes from hours and hours of block sanding hi build primer, tons of guide coat, and in general double and triple checking for its straightness. You put a lot of hours in underneath that 2 mils or so of paint thickness. Yes a painter can paint anything, but their paint job is only as good as the bodywork underneath.
You got no idea man...I knew everything you mentioned about black paint. I thought I was done a dozen times with the body and forced myself to go out and block sand some more on it. Every time I did, I'd find something that wasn't just right. I knew I'd be staring at this paint for years to come and I'd kick myself at every flaw I could see and regret not spending just bit more time on it. Long and tedious work, but worth every minute now that it's done. My first time tackling something like this....glad I did.

does look great
too bad they forgot to tape off the bumpers though :(
LOL....I knew someone would chime in on that. The bumpers were screwed....only way to salvage them was with a grinder, body filler, and paint. Repo chromes ones are easy enough if I choose to replace eventually. The theme is black though and I'm digging the satin. Different strokes for different folks.

Looks great! ..........:thumbsup:
but ya' look a little young there in the driver's seat.
The mini me is already eyeballing it for his first ride! I think built 440 dart might be a smidgen much though...we'll start small block with the young man

Every now and then I'll drive by an econo, shceib, maaco, or electrobake that has one or more great looking cars sitting outside.

For a long time there was car after beautiful car sitting outside an electrobake across town.

I guess that guy got a better offer, as now there's a maaco that's been cranking out a lot of nice looking jobs including classics.
You can't imagine how many people turned their nose up when I said I was going to maaco. It was really starting to get tiresome....everyone so eager to bash them, and by extension my decision to take it there, with no firsthand experience. First words out of my neighbors mouth were "holy ****" when he saw it. Same guy who spent the past year telling me I'd regret the maaco job.

The other thing that saved you money was having everything out of the car. The less stuff they have to tape around to work around or remove to paint the cheaper/better the paint job is. I believe removing all the trim , weatherstripping glass etc for a job like this is well worth it especially if doing a complete color change. Doing it this way gives you better end results and doesnt take much additional time to do if your that far into it with dissassembly.

LOL....I knew someone would chime in on that. The bumpers were screwed....only way to salvage them was with a grinder, body filler, and paint. Repo chromes ones are easy enough if I choose to replace eventually. The theme is black though and I'm digging the satin. Different strokes for different folks.

you got it
glad to hear that look is doing it for you :)

Being that i am out a bit west of ft worth, i may have to flatbed my cuda roller shell out to the ft worth maaco when i get ready for color. 1967 bright yellow or daffodil i think Chrysler called it. I plan on doing the jambs and such myself.

Last edited:
I considered doing the jambs and undersidenoff hood/trunk myself....wend round and round actually. The total price difference was maybe 2-300 if I'd of done that stuff. The manager, Bruce, is a car guy...he could of nickel and dimed me to death with all the pieces and and extra areas to be sprayed. (Underside of trunk, hood, both bumpers, doors, door jambs, dash, rear interior pieces, glove box door) By the time you buy the paint and supplies....it'd probably cost you more to.do.it yourself. Not even counting how much time. If you go that route tell him Jason Captain sent you. I've had a few cars painted there over the years.

I considered doing the jambs and undersidenoff hood/trunk myself....wend round and round actually. The total price difference was maybe 2-300 if I'd of done that stuff. The manager, Bruce, is a car guy...he could of nickel and dimed me to death with all the pieces and and extra areas to be sprayed. (Underside of trunk, hood, both bumpers, doors, door jambs, dash, rear interior pieces, glove box door) By the time you buy the paint and supplies....it'd probably cost you more to.do.it yourself. Not even counting how much time. If you go that route tell him Jason Captain sent you. I've had a few cars painted there over the years.

Cool thanks. I plan on painting the underside as well since its on a rotisserie. In this case i dont mind doing all the jamb and fenderwell work myself.

Hi Jlcaptain24,
Great looking paint job and man your body work is amazing! I'm curious if Maaco painted with a single stage enamel, single stage urethane, or their urethane and clear coat?

Travis

Hey Travis,
Thanks for the compliments!! They used two stage (base/clear) sherwin Williams paint....not sure if all naaco's use that, but kinda assume they do. I've had an 89 suburban painted with the urethane mixed with the clear....and it came out nice. White though. I also had a 97 F-150 painted black with the cheapest crap they sell. It was "okay" at best.

Very nice job I've bin talking to Macco here in NJ. About painting my 64 dart they do a nice job .I want to send mine out to get soda blasted and primed first

My LS400 got a hood scrape and my bodyshop outsourced the paint to Maaco across the street. Paint was a perfect match and finish was good as the rest of the car. Could not tell it was wrinkled. I think they used OEM Lexus PPG.

Very nice, I like someone who has the balls to do something different, make sure to post some photos when its done.

Jeff

-
Back