machining 10 inch drums

-

abodyfan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm converting my Demon to LBP. My issue is drums I bought new drums to fit my 10 x 1.75 shoes. The new drums where for the wider brakes shoes. There was a thread a while back that they cut the drums down to fit I can't find the thread I am wondering what was

Thanks
Brian

I had 1/8" cut off the edge and the lip that is about an inch from the edge. My drums just rubbed the backing plate slightly. You should be able to have it cut down on a brake lathe enough to sit flat on the axle flange, and not rub anywhere.

I converted my Demon's rear brakes to the larger 4 1/2 bolt pattern , too. The right way is to get the correct backing plates and all the bigger brake hardware. But I didn'do that. All my small bolt pattern brake parts were new. I found that the 1970 Ford Maverick brake droms are very similar inside and width. The only thing that I had to do was to bore the center to fit my Moser axles. Put them in the lathe backwards so you can indicate off the bigger bore. You my want to use a face plate with a 4 inch or so hole instead of trying to chuck them.

Anyway, they work very well and I put a good many miles on them with no trouble. But it may not be a good idea to tell anyone that you put Ford Maverick brake drums on your Mopar. They might think that you are some kind of jackass (for lack of a better word). I sure didn't tell anyone that I did it. Oh wait...I just did.

All you need to do if find a guy who can turn drums and is willing to spend some time, and not much time, at that. ANY brake drum lathe should be able to shave off some meat off the edge of a drum, or if you can find someone with a lathe large enough to "swing" a drum.........

But even the average home shop lathe "might" turn a 10" drum.

The problem is

A.....many shops have gotten rid of their drum lathes

B...many shops don't want to take the time and trouble to do something like this

Where are you located? I do have a drum lathe, but shipping would be a killer. Much better if you could do this locally.

I ended up using my brake lathe to do it worked well. They are still rubbing ever so slightly will fix next week. Probably will in the end will go to rear disk, when the money train rolls in.

-
Back