Machining cost

-

hamsterhats

Reaction score
here is my question. I am starting to think about the winter motor project. I simply cant figure what my options would cost. Every shop that i have stopped in to talk to, have told me that they would need to see what they are working with before any cost talk can go on. I am just trying to figure out what direction to go. I have a 318, trying to figure out if i should do heads cam carb intake, or have it bored and decked. What was your maching cost, and what was done? Thanks!

Kind of weird that they have to see it first?? Here is what my local shop quoted me to do a 360 (didnt have to show them anything)

Clean- $55
Bore and Hone- $120
balance rotating assembly- $155
Cam bearing and freeze plug install (part cost not incl.)- $35

My machinist here in NY and the other who's been getting more of my work in TN have kind of a price "menu" for basic costs, in the range of what dartguy has given you. If either one of them runs into unforseen issues once they have the block then phone calls are placed to let me know. But boring is boring, honing is honing, etc. The cost variation usually comes from parts cost like cam bearings installed, etc.

cool, the guy at carquest said that before anything that they would do a sonic(?) test on the block. If i have it bored, can I tell them the ci that i wish to attain? Like if I want 360 ci, how do I figure how much to bore?

You'll probably want to figure out the least amount of overbore it will require to keep the block as thick as you can between the cylinders. If it only needs .030 to clean it up I would go .030. Parts availability is another one to look at. See what pistons and rings and all that are available in a different bore size, ie, more choices out there most of the time for .030 or .060 than .070. Your block will pretty much tell you what total cubic inch you will end up with. My 383 was bored .060 so now its just shy of 396 cubes.

so, if i have a 318 bored over .060, I would need to find rings etc specifically for this setup? That seems like it would be hard to find.

Does anyone know of any good books on small block chryslers? I have seen a couple, but would rather get one that one of you guys recommend. I feel bad asking these basic questions! I did get a repair manual for my dart, it has been a huge help. Here is an unrelated question, how do i find out what bolt pattern i have. I was looking at some wheels on jegs site and couldn't narrow it down because i don't know hao to find this information

Measure from the outside of one stud to the center of the third stud Should be either 4 inches or 4 1/2 inches.

Carquest!!!..find yourself a machine shop with a "good" rep. that does quality work,and have it done right the first time, my machine shop does excellent work but i pay for it but i get what i pay for..if your talking about getting 360 cubes out of a 318,i'd start off with a 360 block to begin with...

I'm paying $94 to have a slant six crank turned right now. I just gave $34 to have new cam bearings put in.

I would find a 360 out of a truck or something from the mid 70's. They can be gotten fro around 200 bucks running. The last one I had done a few years ago was block and heads hot tanked, magged out, bored 40 over, crank and mains were turned 10, and new pistons pushed onto the rods. The total cost was around $350 to $400 If I remember.

ok, i see where this is going! Moper, I just want something strong, don't need crazy power, but i would not mind it. Stroked, i will find a better shop, it was the only place that i knew did this kind of work. 360 scamp, yeah that may be an option, just need to find one. I will call around today. I sure wouldn't mind a 360!

ok, i see where this is going! Moper, I just want something strong, don't need crazy power, but i would not mind it. Stroked, i will find a better shop, it was the only place that i knew did this kind of work. 360 scamp, yeah that may be an option, just need to find one. I will call around today. I sure wouldn't mind a 360!

Don't dilly dally around with a short stroke 318... find a 360 with the longer stroke. You will spend the same amount money on the 318 as you will on the 360 rebuilding them but of course you have to figure in the cost finding a 360.

The 360 will make more torque so that equals fun time on the street.

There's nothign wrong with Car Quest, or Napa shops, if what you want is a good running stock type engine. But, there are huge differences in a "shop", and a performance shop. In equipment, and in mahcinist quality usually. Cheaper does not mean better. I also live in CT, the most expensive state int he Union. But, the pricing from a race shop in MI, or FL, or CA, is the same. So I dont think location is too big a deal. Next question.. what do you have to spend and what do you have sitting now? (Include rear, trans, etc)

ramcharger, ordered the "small block mopar" book, thanks! Moper, I have a 904 trans and about $3000 to spend at the moment.

There's nothign wrong with Car Quest, or Napa shops, if what you want is a good running stock type engine. But, there are huge differences in a "shop", and a performance shop. In equipment, and in mahcinist quality usually. Cheaper does not mean better. I also live in CT, the most expensive state int he Union. But, the pricing from a race shop in MI, or FL, or CA, is the same. So I dont think location is too big a deal. Next question.. what do you have to spend and what do you have sitting now? (Include rear, trans, etc)

Took my heads to NAPA machine shop and told them I want to change out my springs on the heads to the ones that I need for the cam I was going to run. They said that I would have to take them to a performance shop to have that done... I was like "What!???" Sure enough I had to take them to a local performance machine shop. The shop also does stock type motors ... but I be damned if I will ever take anything to NAPA or CarQuest for that matter. I wouldn't trust them.

I'm just in overload right now, there are so many options! I wish my dart had a 340 or 360 with it. Why can't i just punch a 318 to a 340 or 360?

I'm just in overload right now, there are so many options! I wish my dart had a 340 or 360 with it. Why can't i just punch a 318 to a 340 or 360?

Because the blocks are different and the stroke is a big determining factor in displacement. Boring an engine to get more cubes is not desirable as it thins the walls which reduces power under high loads. You bore an engine to get good round cylinders. On a limited budget, especially if you still need headers, intake, carb, I would try and keep the existing crank.

Well here is the deal. I really want to keep the block, i don't want to go get another one. This is my first project, not my last. I think that i should just build up what I have, that is why the stroker kit appealed to me. Any thoughts?

-
Back