Machining prices?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd see what machining prices are in different areas and what good prices are for all the different machining, boring, milling, porting are and also prices to assemble a short block. I called the local shop today just out of curiosity and he said to bore a v8 to any size is $115 and short block assembly is $300. These are the only prices I got but I'd like to hear what prices are for all the different types of machining.

I've been out of this game for 30+ years Caleb, but those numbers sure look reasonable to me. The question is, are these from a performance oriented shop, or just a in & out production place. I'm subscribed cause I'd love to know what guys are paying these days for the work too?

I'm not real sure, Rick. He's the only machine shop in the Russellville area that I know of and he's been goin a long time. He does nothing but engine related machine work and I know the one big resto/hotrod shop in the area uses him for all their machine work.

In my area it ranges, cheapest price around is 150 for a clean and bore, the local performance shop is 275 for a clean and bore, thats with a torque plate.

There are a lot of good small local shops, i've used several myself. Just make sure they'll answer any questions you have, and make you feel comfortable with the service the're providing you.

What the difference in honing with and without torque plates?

My machinist says that torque plates hold the bore where it will actually be with heads on, so the bore will be perfectly round. Otherwise, when you bolt up the heads, it will pull the bore slightly into an egg shape, and your clearances will be off.

My shop charged an extra $45 or something like that to torque plate hone my 289.

Here's a local guy who has the decency to put his prices online.

[ame]http://www.gamracingengines.com/gam_price_sheet.pdf[/ame]

What the difference in honing with and without torque plates?

The difference is having perfectly round and straight bores before you put the heads on, without torque plates, or perfectly round and straight bores after you put the heads on, with torque plates. Use the same head gasket you intend to use with the torque plate and make sure they torque the main caps also. Your engine should make more power run cooler. That's the short answer.

I'm in CT and we seem to be the most pricey around. The boring/plate hone runs $400, and the assembly is anywhere from $400 to where ever depending on who's doing what. Ask him for the cost is to completely blueprint and blueprint assemble and you may be closer to what you want. Also look at his equipment. Old doesn't mean bad, but it can mean less precise, which means less performance no matter who's running it.

-
Back