Made some progress on my 71' Duster...

-

Judge Mills

1971 Plymouth Duster
Reaction score
Waiting for Ignition parts I bought on ebay to make this bad boy go, so decided to mess around with some hammerite.....

Keep in mind this is not a resto job... I'm mearly making this MY LIL' HOT ROD.... Working on a limited budget, and making it so i get some looks and some giggles :D

EDIT: will be changing to 73' Duster discs *hopefully* soon... and someday to the adjustable upper A arms... Ignore the last picture,,, i can't seem to delete it :freak:

dusterbefore.jpg

dusterafter.jpg
[/ATTACH]

duster before.jpg

Looking good so far. Make sure you where eye protection when you are under there so you don't get crud in your eyes. I hate it when that happens.

Oh, fo sho! When I started working on it two weeks ago, I got some stuff in my eye within minutes. I immediately left for Home Depot and got a set :D

Keep plugging away,we gotta save those Dusters.What color you going with?

I have a 3rd Dimension (from sherwin williams) shade named Butterscotch.... hopefully it's still good, it's a year and a half years old..... It's like a wild orange.... I'm going for the "hey, look at me!" look...

Well, I didn't work on my car for a few months, due to fear of losing my job, and my wife's fear of losing her job... Well, I kept mine, she didn't...... BUT, at least I'm still working so I'm inspired to work on my car again :)

Seriously, this WHOLE fender had a 1/8" to 1/4" thick sheet of bondo PLASTERED the entire length and with over the metal.. Couple of dents, but nothing serious like I feared.....

duster 05-20-09.jpg

I have a 318 I rebuilt back in 02' with probably 10 miles on it... rebuilt 904.....

The vehicle already has a thick layer of undercoating... I just freshened it up a bit with some hammerite...

i know how to get that paint off the car.... a wire wheel on a grinder.

Make sure you wear eye protection when you do it!

Craig

i know how to get that paint off the car.... a wire wheel on a grinder.

Make sure you wear eye protection when you do it!

Craig

Yep, that works good for a light coat of Bondo...... First i use a heat gun to soften up the 1/4" sections , scrap some off, then use the wire wheel, then sand.... what a long process :read2:

Sorry to hear about the tough times there Judge Mills, working on the car and FABO are good therapy. Looking good and I agree with 70dart, the 3M nylon wheels work great but get a little pricey. I use both. The wire is good for rusty areas.

I get the nylon wheels on sale for around 5 bucks at princess auto, stripped my whole care with them, took some time but didn't take many disks, they last quite a while!

-
Back