Magged or pressure test?

-

68fastback

Reaction score
I took a set of heads into the shop to have them magged and the shop told me pressure testing is better and they did not do that but told me where to take them. My question is does this sound normal to you guys? I have not herd of it, I have allways been told to get them magnafluxed.

Mag particle inspection is plenty sufficient for finding cracks on the face of the head, around coolant transfer holes, valve guide areas etc. To pressure test the head you'd have to find or make an adaptor plate, with head gasket, for the face which if you're successful is going to be expensive. IMHO

Terry

I just had a set of indy heads pressure tested for 60.00 no leaks and was fast.You have to take out all the valves.Most places that # test have all the adapters.

I was told it would be $40 a head but I dont need to remove anything, just bring the loaded heads in and they will pressure test them and hot tank them.

Pressure test can find flaws that magnaflux cannot. Pressure is the only way to test an aluminum head too. Hope this helps.

-
Back