Magnum 360 to 904

-

Dodge74

Reaction score
Might be a stupid question, but i'll ask anyway:
LA 360s are externally balanced and 360 Magnums also but still there's a difference. If i am understanding this correctly when i pull my LA360
is there going to be a balancing issue with the weights on the converter and flexplate or do I just need to find a 727 flexplate and trans?

Any input is helpful.

Thanks,

.....................................PETE...........................

There is no B&M flexplate to mount the 904 behind the magnum...there is one for the 727 behind magnum.

you can use a magnum 5.9 flexplate that has the weights on it to get the 904 to work....

only thing...the 904 converter has one lug offsetted...and the magnum flexplate is a symmetrical...one hole on the flexplate where it mounts to the converter will need to be elongated...

you can also check to see if the magnum to 727 flexplate from B&M if it has the same converter bolt circle as the 904 converter you are using..

Thank you Tony for your help; So now onto the next dilemma of the counter weight on the toque converter: will the torque converter vibrate or will one size fits all for externally
balanced engines........

Thanks.......................................................PETE....................................

you can use a non weighted flexplate ...or neutral balanced flexplate....and put the weight on the converter...but that weight has to be for a Magnum 5.9...

if you are buying a new converter...you can have the converter company balanced the converter for the magnum 5.9 engine...and make sure they under stand it is a MAGNUM not a LA...LOL

I would recommend the 96 and up weighted flexplate which will work with any neutral balance converter. I got one from a salvage yard for $35. elongated the 1 hole with a rattail file and used a converter with no weights. I don't know if the 360 LA balancer will work with the magnum weighted flexplate . You could be looking buying a magnum balancer, surely someone out there knows......

Thank guys; big help going to do a little more homework on this just so it gets done right. If you guys remember anything or hear anything new let me know...........

Thanks........................................PETE..........................................

LA 360 balancer is weighted different then Magnum 360 balancer...Magnum uses less weight...

If you are just doing a stock rebuild, you can get a balancer from Professional Products that has bolt on weights ...basically covers all small block applications with one balancer....

Another gotcha is the bolt hole size on some aftermarket converters. They have larger 7/16 holes and the Magnum Flexplate is only 5/16.
I bought the B&M to match up my 727 with a PTC converter to my 5.9 because of this. But I don't see that B&M offers a 904 version any longer.

Another gotcha is the bolt hole size on some aftermarket converters. They have larger 7/16 holes and the Magnum Flexplate is only 5/16.
I bought the B&M to match up my 727 with a PTC converter to my 5.9 because of this. But I don't see that B&M offers a 904 version any longer.

a few dollars for a 7/16 drill bit will fix that in a minute or two.

Ok!!! Tony will do i'll let you know how it go's.......................

Thanks.........................PETE...............................................

-
Back