Magnum 5.2 in '72 Dart

-

RAMVAN96

Reaction score
Hey guys 'n gals,

First time poster, long time lurker.

I picked up a '92 Magnum 5.2 and A518 trans with 70k on them. Getting ready to swap them into my '72 Dart over the winter.

I have looked through past posts and feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what all needs to be done, but still have some questions.

First, there was a fella making standalone harnesses for these engines down in Kentucky I believe, but he appears to have gone MIA. Does anyone know if he (or someone else) is making them?

Second, I am hoping to leave the engine in stock form with factory injection (hence why I'm looking for the gentleman who was making the harnesses). Not looking to make a bunch of power, but more or less a reliable cruiser that my wife can drive without me worrying the wheezy slant 6 is going to throw a fit on her. I have enough other projects/toys that I'd like to make this one a simple cruiser. Has anyone used the stock A518 in place of a 904? What's the best way to do this? And if anyone has left the factory intake on these engines, do they clear the hood or are they too tall?

Slowly accumulating my parts stock pile. Now that I stumbled on this engine/trans combo, I have most of the major parts. Going to pick up a V8 K-member tonight locally, then just need to source V8 torsion bars and probably better get disc brakes up front.

Thank in advance!

Welcome aboard!
Good luck with this swap as it shouldn’t be to hard. I can’t help a a lot on this but.....

If you have factory disc breaks, they will do well. There are same diameter for what ever engine the car came with. If you felt they were not up to par, grab the brackets from the later year B bodies, like a Córdoba and use the larger discs and OE parts. Find some 11 inch backing plates as well. Same cars.

On the trans swap, there is a thread or two here that covers that. An A-500 would be an easier fit since it is based off the 904.

If you cant find the guy look up diyautotune you can get a ecm side harness and megasquirt/microsquirt setup and make your own harness.
Matt Cramer from over there has an efi slant six car.

If you still need an answer on the intake height to the hood give me a little over a week and I'll check on my 71.

If your on Facebook Gabe Maxwell has well documented swaps on these he just installed his 7th so i think he's got it down. Abody mopar is one of the groups

By the way i see you are from wisconsin did you post on kenosha area mopars?

-
Back