Magnum 5.9 into 70s truck

-

Moparbrad

You don’t know me
Reaction score
Yeah I know, not an A body but same premise. I have a 72 dodge truck with a dead 360 in it. The truck is equipped with power steering and A/C. I also have a nice, low mile Magnum 360 from a 2001 truck also P/S and A/C. What all would be needed to make the Magnum work in the old truck? I want to use the serpentine belt set up. I'd use a 70s electronic dizzy and a carburetor intake. My main concern is the Alternator wiring? Same balance as the LA 360? Mounts? Anything maybe you've encountered??? Thanks for any help.

Use the stock 2001 360 flexplate, (one hole will need offset grinding)will work with a stock neutral balance converter(318/340, or knock the weights off of the 360 converter. If going to run headers, mock it up on an engine stand. Some haftermarket long tube headers hit the engine mount bosses, grind as needed..Extra info available at www.Magnumswap.com I used the early...up on mine. Hopefully someone else chimes in.

Cool, thank you guys for the info. I didn't realize all the old stuff like timing cover and water pump would bolt up. Good info!

Make sure you ground the mag truck mounts down if you are running headers.
Test fit before bolting the engine in.
Balance on a 360 mag is different than a 360 LA.
Also you have to buy a mag intake, the bolts go straight down vs la which are angled unless you drill the heads. The MP mag dual-plane would work good on a truck.

Make sure you ground the mag truck mounts down if you are running headers.
Test fit before bolting the engine in.
Balance on a 360 mag is different than a 360 LA.
Also you have to buy a mag intake, the bolts go straight down vs la which are angled unless you drill the heads. The MP mag dual-plane would work good on a truck.

Will I be able to use the Magnum mounts for a 72 truck? As I remember, they were different styles.

"Balance on a 360 mag is different than a 360 LA." If going v belt,check out a Professional Products 80012 balancer, use the magnum weight.. 97 up Magum 5.9 weights come prebalanced, no weights needed on torque converter. stock LA pulleys line up perfect.
"Also you have to buy a mag intake: "Mopar dual plane , isn't your only option... The Professional Products Crosswind & Edelbrock Air Gap ,are other options.

Will I be able to use the Magnum mounts for a 72 truck? As I remember, they were different styles.

No use the la ones, the mags are like 3" farther back on the block.

-
Back