Magnum Air Gap...what bypass hose to use???

-

txstang84

Reaction score
As the subject line suggests-I bought the magnum air gap hoping this would keep the water leaks from coming back. I noticed in the picture, before ordering the intake, the bypass hose is oriented differently, but I didn't believe it would cause as much issue as it does...can't get the bypass to go on there for obvious reasons...

Who all is using this intake with old style front accessories, and what bypass hose do I need to buy??

Tx,I use the mid seventies on my A-Gap.Works fine eith old style accessories. Order 1 for 76 360 Cordoba,with a.c.

I was able to get the LA style one to fit. If you got the same fitting with your intake that I did (long brass one), I had to cut the last 2 or 3 barbs off (not cut off yet in first pic), and if I remember correctly, had to trim the hose a little, too.

Yes, when you put a magnum intake on an LA block. I should have gone with an LA intake since my heads are drilled for it, but I didn't. I had them drilled so I could use a wider variety of intakes.

Thanks all-64, that's about what I wound up doing...just taking the stock hose and contorting it to a point where it fit. I don't like doing that, but I guess if it works. Either way, it's running now. Probably should buy a Holley tuning kit so I can fart around with the carb some.

Very nice looking setup btw!

Thanks all-64, that's about what I wound up doing...just taking the stock hose and contorting it to a point where it fit. I don't like doing that, but I guess if it works. Either way, it's running now. Probably should buy a Holley tuning kit so I can fart around with the carb some.

Very nice looking setup btw!

I had to do the same thing with my Magnum-headed 360 LA, I tried cutting up bypass hoses from different parts stores until I found one that worked. I just made sure to tighten the hose clamp good and so far no leaks after 1000 miles (knock on wood).

The older production MP M1 intakes that fit Magnum headed engines still have this nipple facing the correct 45 degrees. The newest production intakes have the straight nipple to accommodate A/C for the trucks. I have an older production (1997 build date) MPI single plane 4bbl magnum intake I run and it has the correct angle. So keep your eyes out at swap meets for the older ones.

Attachments

• resize360.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 243
The older production MP M1 intakes that fit Magnum headed engines still have this nipple facing the correct 45 degrees. The newest production intakes have the straight nipple to accommodate A/C for the trucks. I have an older production (1997 build date) MPI single plane 4bbl magnum intake I run and it has the correct angle. So keep your eyes out at swap meets for the older ones.

Hmmm, I'll keep an eye out, but I doubt I'd really have a build in need of a high rise single plane-that is nice though. Those rockers look more than vaguely familiar...they look just like the factory rockers on a 93-95 Cobra 5.0 minus the stud mounts...Crane Energizers?

Mopardude: That is a swank setup! If my a/c pump brackets weren't in the way, that would be the way I would go. And, whenever I go with the newer style a/c compressor, I might go that direction-thanks!

Bought the ebay intake form procomp correct angle bypass hole and half the price of the edelbrock/mp/profession products intake.

Hey ! When you modify one thing, you'll probably have to change two more.

I just changed my M-1 to an Air Gap on my magnum engine and had the same problem with the hose not fitting. So I basically did the same thing as 64physhy.

Took two barbs off and two threads off the brass fitting. But be careful, if you do the threads, and added a little high temp. pipe dope w/teflon.

I used the same hose but took some off each end. Take a small amount off at a time. You might want to mark your hose in place for your final cuts, because the hose gets a little twisted, but not bad. Vaseline helps a bunch.

-
Back