magnum converstion thoughts ??

-

fstfish66

Reaction score
looking for info or any ones ideas or thoughts???
hope im in the correct forum

im intrested in putting a 5.2 magnum in my street rod,,why you ask,,, depenability,,and i think i found a decent deal on a super low mileage complete motor,,with the EFI, and engine wiring harness, and J TECH controller,,,

3 problems i need to over come,,

1,,sorting out the magnum engine harness to work with my current car wiring,,

2 rewiring my current external mopar voltage regulator to use the magnun internal voltage regulator alternator,,

3 the notching of my 904 tranny bell housing to except the crank trigger that is on the magnum flex plate,

any one done this yet ?? have a running car with any magnum engines?? any ideas or thougth would be great,,,,

Don't forget your fuel pump. If you run the EFI I'm fairly sure you're going to have to plumb a return line as well. You can either try to rig up an in tank pump or an inline one.

Wiring the "new" motor to the old car is not is bad as it seems. I have done a few of them, they were all Fords, but most of the EFI harness is self contained. On the ones I have done, as far as connections to the car there was only a few, beyond the hot and ground conections. One of them was to a key controlled igntion wire that is hot during cranking/run. There was also a connection to the brake lite switch, on a Ford, at least I was told, that this kept the motor a steady idle while slowing down from speed, a/c wiring, if you have it. Keep in imind that the swaps I did were prior to obd2, if what you will be swapping in is an obd2 system the harness is a lot more elaboate, but it's connection to the vehicle is about the same. It will be a bit more complicated should you decide to use all of the efi motors gauge wiring etc. I can not stress enough that the efi motor will be VERY sensitive to ground issues, make sure that you ground the motor to the frame and to the battery. The fuel system will need to be addressed, I have seen where a returnless style fuel system has been used, so no return line will be needed. Get everything you can from the donor vehicle, even if you do not think you will need it. Charcoal canister and all. I took the schematics from both vehicles to Kinkos and had them blown up as big as they could go, made tracing wires easier. Pay attention to any shielding that was one on the efi harness, if you do not use it you may have some issues with signals getting picked up where they should not be.

thanks for the tip on the grounds,, no donor vehicle,,this motor is said to have been a test motor at chrysler,, i odnt have alll the details yet, just trying to get it sorted out in my head before i put the cash down on it,,,

i was going to do the 5.7 swap and still might,,,just that this motro seems to good to be true,,,,

the return line can be cheated by using a corvette fuel filter with a built in return,,,,but if a real return is needed its not a big deal to install on a full frame car,,,

ill be looking at gas tanks with intank fuel pumps that will fit my car or that can be modified easiley,,rather then haveing a tank built,,very costly,,,

im not sure all this is worth it or not,,but iu thing the magnum will install earier then doing a 5.7 hemi,,,i have leads on both type motors right now,,but the 5.7 doesnt have a computer with it,,that makes it more costly to do,,,

I'm also contemplating a 318 magnum EFI set up in a 67 Barracuda. It is an AC car and my brothers. Updated electronics, alternator, AC compressor and serpentine belt. Just sent the heads in to see if they are cracked. May do a how to, unless I go the 340 route.

340 is an easier way to go,,,

ide like to have the fuel injection in my street rod and the serpentine belt,,and the dependablitiy of the 5.2..

but tracking down concrete in fo is seeming to be hard,, ill keep digging

I haven't done the swap but I have some experience tuning some fairly agressive EFI magnum systems and am planning to run an EFId 408 in my dart.

One thing worth mentioning is that if you are going to use forced induction or a cam that is going to pull less that 15" vacuum at idle, I would ditch the crappy JTEC system and go with a standalone. Radical setups with JTEC computers run like crap. JTEC PCMs are very rigid when it comes to MAP signal and are pretty much stuck on an AFR of 14.7 in closed loop. I have had great luck with Accel Thruster DFI, but I will probably run megasquirt on the dart for cost reasons. Also with an aftermarket standalone PCM, you can just use a dual sync distributor and forget all that trigger wheel/ CPS complication.

hey thanks for the reply,,

i plan on a completely stock 5.2 with a non computer lock up 904..

the info on not running a speed sensor is good to know,,

ive e mailed f,a,s,t, painless, mega squirt,, so far only reply was mega squirt,, im hoping to talk with them today.,, ive seen a 5.9 in a street rod junk yard motor with a 518 trans,,and a home built mega squirt..

so far the easiest way will be the mega squirt if they can help me out with a built ,programmed unit,,, or a completel wiring harness front to back from a dakota/jeep,, ikm not sure i want to get in to all that junk,,,

no wonder there arent too many magnum powered street rods,,,

hotwire in mena ark will build you a wire harness 479 243 9115 .... im getting mine to day 318 mag 518 trans in to 1964 valisnt

ive talked with hot wire people in person at carlisle 2 weeks ago,, the motor im looking at has the engine harness,,,im looking for a way to not have to spend 820 bucks to have my harness made simple by hot wires,,, ive seen a few street rods completely stock, there has to be a way to fire a stock magnum using all the stock stuff,, or a mega squirt computer,,,

what are you putting yours in ?

Don I just put EFI on my Cuda.... kept my intake and went with the EZ EFI unit from FAST.

it starts right up, runs, no bogs, and got more HP as well as better mileage then the carbs ever did.

used a tank fro mrock valley auto ( they take repro tanks and weld in efi pumps)

if your interested i'll post pix

\

Another cost to consider is for a laptop. Megasquirt and full standalones will pretty much require it.

hey thanks for the reply,,

i plan on a completely stock 5.2 with a non computer lock up 904..

the info on not running a speed sensor is good to know,,

ive e mailed f,a,s,t, painless, mega squirt,, so far only reply was mega squirt,, im hoping to talk with them today.,, ive seen a 5.9 in a street rod junk yard motor with a 518 trans,,and a home built mega squirt..

so far the easiest way will be the mega squirt if they can help me out with a built ,programmed unit,,, or a completel wiring harness front to back from a dakota/jeep,, ikm not sure i want to get in to all that junk,,,

no wonder there arent too many magnum powered street rods,,,

-
Back