Magnum Cracks?

-
Reaction score
Are magnum OEM heads all cracked? All I ever hear is 9 times out of ten they are cracked. So does that mean that they all just crack after a while? I have a chance to purchase a set off magnum heads that I have been told have been checked for cracks and have none. Is this too good to be true or is the no cracks deal a real possibility?

No. A lot of them are, though.

In many cases, you can see the cracks between the seats with the naked eye...otherwise, you can use zyglo dye penetrant and a black light, or magnafluxing to find it.

I've seen probably five sets of Magnum heads. Not one of them was cracked anywhere. Maybe I got lucky. I seriously doubt it.

I've seen probably five sets of Magnum heads. Not one of them was cracked anywhere. Maybe I got lucky. I seriously doubt it.

Years ago I was looking for a set of heads to use on a 360 I was building. I was condiering both LA and Magnum heads. I took 6 pair to the machinist, one pair at a time. I pulled 8 sets of heads at several wrecking yards trying to find a set that were good to use. In all but the last pair, there were at least ONE crack if not more. The Magnums crack between the valve seats. My machinist said that while the cracks aren't likely to hit the water, it makes more sense to keep looking for a solid pair. I finally found a set of LA '923 heads from a 360 in a truck.

Seller doesn't call me back or can't find the time to meet. Think he's a little too spun. :shock: Figured it was too good to be true. :banghead:

rarely do you find an uncracked pr(unless your rustedratrod,LOLOLOLOL) but that said I use them all the time and unless they are spitting coolant its a minor deal. But for say a competetive stock or super stock combo you might be better off with out the cracks. LO>L Rusted rat hole!

What makes the magnum heads crack? Is it the factory running too hot of a thermostat or what?

-
Back