magnum engine help

-

Blue Grey Duster

Reaction score
Hey guys !
I took my timing cover off my Crate Magnum to replace my eccentric and notice there wasn't an oil slinger on the crank side of the timing chain. I know magnums are oiled different than th LA engine, but I'm not an engine mechanic so I'm asking you guys for some help here. So does a magnum need one or have I been mopared ?

both of mine, 5.2 and 5.9 didn't have em either. I was gonna use one off an old LA318 but was advised not to. BTW chains were fine except for being slack.

THANKS A TON funwithfuel ! I need to get this thing back together.
The motor has about 100 miles on it, I didn't want to mess it up and didn't know what to do. Thanks again !

I'm running the stock serpentine on my 360 magnum so I'm using the stock timing cover. It has a triangle shape cast into it on top of the lower sprocket, I guess it serves as the oil slinger.

Hey:

Mine didn't have one either (the UFO looking thing that goes on the crank sprocket?). I put one in from a 318, and didn't suffer any ill effect. Certainly my front seal doesn't leak.

Have it apart for a timing chain now, and am thinking of not putting it back on.

My LA cover has the same V. Stamped "Hecho en Mexico". I think the oil slingers purpose was to keep oil away from the front seal to minimize leaks. Maybe it isn't needed now since seals might have improved. Probably not a bad idea to add one, if you have one.

-
Back