Magnum engines to Old T-Flites?

-

oleyeller

Reaction score
I have a 318 Magnum I need to bolt up to a 1966 T-Flite. Is there a converter issue using the original converter. Reason I ask is I know 66 earlier t-flites have a diff spline count. Or any other issues I should Know?

Yes. All magnum engines are externally balanced. Check B&M and see if they make a balanced flexplate for your 318 magnum that'll allow you to run the old converter. One other thing. What engine did that 66 t'flite come from? If it was a 273 the converter also has a small pilot hub and won't work at all with a 318 magnum unless you take it to a good trans shop and have it modded.

I'm putting a 360 magnum in my 68 cuda witha 904 auto trans.They make a torque conv. for the combo.Just need to know if you are running a 904 or a 727.And yes they are external balanced.

I'm putting a 360 magnum in my 68 cuda witha 904 auto trans.They make a torque conv. for the combo.Just need to know if you are running a 904 or a 727.And yes they are external balanced.

360 magnum's use a different amount of external balance weight than an LA 360. I know they make a converter that's externally balanced for use with a LA 360 but I don't think they have one for a Magnum 360. Do you have a part # to verify it?

I have a 318 Magnum I need to bolt up to a 1966 T-Flite. Is there a converter issue using the original converter. Reason I ask is I know 66 earlier t-flites have a diff spline count. Or any other issues I should Know?

the 5.2 (318) is internally balanced. So you should be able to use the stock flexplate thats on it. Check the snout on the converter and make sure its not too large to go into the hole in the end of the crank. Also make sure you have a 318 (neutral balanced) converter since most of the 360/5.9 converters had the balance weights on them up to 97. After that they started weighting the magnum 5.9 flexplates instead.

Larry

There is some confusing info in this thread. OLEYELLER wants to put a 66 Torqflite to a 318 Magnum engine. I am not very familiar with the magnums, but I can tell you this. If the 66 trans is a 904, he will need an adapter bushing in the end of the crankshaft. The pilot nub on the 66 converter is smaller then the hole in the crank ( size changed between 67 and 68). If the 318 magnum is externally balenced the best cure is an aftermarket flexplate to match the engine, and stay with a neutral balenced 66 converter.

PS: it is not possible to use a 68 or newer converter with the 66 trans as the spline count is different.

This info may not apply to a 727 trans.

Fishy68 is correct, but it is not necessary to mod the converter, just use the bushing in the crank. These are available from a couple of sources

-
Back