Magnum Force subframe connectors

-

SB69GTS

Reaction score
Has anyone used there new subframe connectors that bolt to the frame and the rear leaf mount.

XRT Frame Connectors.jpg

Magnum Force Subframe Conn.1.jpg

Oh wow! They look pretty cool. What do they want for those?

I just found these...didn't notice this thread when it first came up. Any info on these would be welcome. They look like they ought to be strong.

heavy wall tubing and a welder????? $40 maybe.
If you can build a set of these for 40 bucks ...call me ...lol. I think maybe some material ...but labour ...time ...powder coating ....never come close

I am sure powdercoating is wonderful. but after all these old mopars and all these decades, i just buy 2 x 3 in 10 ga to 1/8 in tubing, at the wholesale steel co. clean it, epoxy prime, paint it with good acrylic urethane,... yes i have a cut off wheel and a mig,
i would never myself consider anything other. mine are better: look better, work just as good,.. NO better .... welded on, and don't cost squat!
do the search engine here. this has been cussed and discussed many times.

I am sure powdercoating is wonderful. but after all these old mopars and all these decades, i just buy 2 x 3 in 10 ga to 1/8 in tubing, at the wholesale steel co. clean it, epoxy prime, paint it with good acrylic urethane,... yes i have a cut off wheel and a mig,
i would never myself consider anything other. mine are better: look better, work just as good,.. NO better .... welded on, and don't cost squat!
do the search engine here. this has been cussed and discussed many times.
also welded in the floor , strongest of the bunch . Paid $ 18 for the 2" sq. tubing for mine !

you guys really weld them up with the "y" braces, etc? Pretty cool.

Learning to weld seems like the single most valuable/money saving skill in this hobby.

IMG_5725.JPG

you guys really weld them up with the "y" braces, etc? Pretty cool.

Learning to weld seems like the single most valuable/money saving skill in this hobby.

View attachment 1715081124
not to take away from that product, but look at the material they are made of, the size pipe/or tubing? its thickness/or gauge? . I see why it is braced.??

if you buy a small mig, just find someone that welds and let them give you a quick lesion. no doubt you can find a u tube deal to give real instruction. then it is just understanding what you are doing, and getting the "feel" of it. yes welding and metallurgy can get very involved....you are not welding on a nuclear reactor and having to x ray it! but.....
welding 18 ga sheetmetal is different than welding 2 x 3 1/8 tubing, but , it ain't rocket science!

not to take away from that product, but look at the material they are made of, the size pipe/or tubing? its thickness/or gauge? . I see why it is braced.??

if you buy a small mig, just find someone that welds and let them give you a quick lesion. no doubt you can find a u tube deal to give real instruction. then it is just understanding what you are doing, and getting the "feel" of it. yes welding and metallurgy can get very involved....you are not welding on a nuclear reactor and having to x ray it! but.....
welding 18 ga sheetmetal is different than welding 2 x 3 1/8 tubing, but , it ain't rocket science!

I just called them for some specs.

1 5/8" tubing/18 gauge

Too small?

That and body work/painting. A good electrical base is also hugely helpful.

1 5/8" tubing/18 gauge

Too small?
Not in my opinion. Going up a gauge size is OK. Adds weight. Strength vs. weight... allways the question. Tube size is fine as well. And there is another things. Tube vs. box beem.

If you can't find a buddy, perhaps a local adult education class?

Not in my opinion. Going up a gauge size is OK. Adds weight. Strength vs. weight... allways the question. Tube size is fine as well. And there is another things. Tube vs. box beem...

Thanks...and heck yes, I would love to learn welding when time permits. Electrical stuff I am learning slowly. Bodywork/paint I think I'll leave to the pros. Plus, I don't intend on painting my Dart ever (barring some kind of crazy chemical spill that ruins the factory paint! :D )

So the verdict on 1 5/8" tubing with 18 gauge sheet metal is that this is sufficient? I'm pretty sure that the Mopar Performance pieces that I was going to install aren't nearly as stout as these.

1 5/8" tubing/18 gauge

Too small?
keyword is tubing. 18 ga. is what your body panels are made of. like I said, I like my method. maybe it adds a few ponds, but I am no boy racer anyway. I just like to get rid of body flex and roll. there is a thread where everyone argued how to build/buy frame connectors. lots of opinions.

there is a thread where everyone argued how to build/buy frame connectors. lots of opinions.

Notice how I stayed out of it.....

Some is good more is better but where does it end and for what purpose is the car used for.

Great results can be obtained with a few good parts. Over the years, some of the basic parts I have seen used requires some fabrication that range from basic novice to skilled welding. You could do basic (MP like) sub frame connectors and a basic (Competition Engineneering) 6pt. cage and be super happy. Or super miserable.

I will let all you guys know when i install mine ...

Nice! Please let us know.
I'm interested in how they fit, if they interfere with the parking brake cables, etc. Are you bolting them in or welding? Any thoughts on how you're going to evaluate their effectiveness?

Bolt them in ... in the process of getting vehicle ready for BB 470 700 HP 700 TQ... wont be on road till next year...

Bolt them in ... in the process of getting vehicle ready for BB 470 700 HP 700 TQ... wont be on road till next year...

Not sure if anyone has a better thought but perhaps before installing the braces, try jacking up the car and placing stands under the subframes and measure the droop...then repeat after the installation to compare?

I would never trust bolt in connectors of any design to stay put and not move. (or not allow movement)
If I didn't care about that, and pretty was my concern, then I might have used something like those.

I would never trust bolt in connectors of any design to stay put and not move. (or not allow movement)
If I didn't care about that, and pretty was my concern, then I might have used something like those.

I hear you on this...the consistent advice that I've gotten on this forum is that welding them in, unless prohibited by an auto-x class, etc. is critical.

Isn't a cradle bolted to a subframe ?... so whats the difference ... if there is reinforcement bolted or welded does it not do the almost same thing . These ones by magnaforce are the best style to bolt in without welding them ..

Isn't a cradle bolted to a subframe ?... so whats the difference ... if there is reinforcement bolted or welded does it not do the almost same thing . These ones by magnaforce are the best style to bolt in without welding them ..

Too much torsional force for bolts to ever stay tight IMO.
Welded cradles are more solid as well.:D

There is only one way I would be ok with bolt in's and that would be if I could add tubes inside the frame sections so the bolts don't try to crush them.

Jeez I kinda hate to start something but.........if they're BOLT in, they are not really going to stiffen things up. I don't care how many or what size bolts.

-
Back